Re: [Tails-dev] automated tests

Autor: bertagaz
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] automated tests
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:55:00AM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
> >   - file a whishlist bug, if needed, so that the Debian kernel gets
> >     these modules enabled?

> #678731

Nice work! So we have a reliable tested solution for this part of the
tests AND in the future it will be usable in Debian. :)

On my side, I've added the ability to handle domain and network xml definitions
to the code. It uses the default ones actually pushed in the repo, and remove
them from the libvirt conf after the tests. It can be configured through
environment variables to use other xml files.

I've also added a basic sniffer. It's working, but tcpdump's habits to
output stats when stoped kinda mess with the cucumber output. So if
someone knows a tool that is more quiet, I'll be happy to replace tcpdump.
Otherwise, it shouldn't be too hard to code a basic sniffer for our use.
Now in the step_definitions, it is possible to start one or several
sniffers, and use `@sniffer1.packets` to post-process the network traffic.

I began to think about how to filter the network traffic depending on
being inside or outside of Tor's network. I see 3 ways to get a list of
Tor's network ips to test against:

- Simple and dumb: collect every node ip from the dir authorities
- Run a Tor on the testing system, and parse its cached consensus file.
- Have an access to the system under test Tor instance to get the
entry_guards informations.

First is easy (I made such a tool monthes ago, but we could also ask to
Mr. Filliol ;)) but gets you 4000+ ips to filter against.
Second sounds like another easy solution and maybe the best for now.
Third would mean having to modify the system under test configuration,
which isn't really desirable.

Do any of you see another way?

I already did some work on the doc on its wiki page, but I still have to
reword it to follow this new features.

bert.