Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot
04/06/2012 10:52 AM, intrigeri:
> hi,
>
> anonym wrote (05 Apr 2012 10:02:47 GMT) :
>> 04/05/2012 10:09 AM, intrigeri:
>>> What prevents us from shipping live-boot 3.0~a26-1 from Debian
>>> experimental in Tails 0.11, instead of a custom package?
>
>> At the moment live-config isn't up to date with some changes in
>> live-boot. It'll be fixed in live-config 3.0~a36-1 (dba will upload
>> it later today).
>
> This happened, so we can do this move.
> I'd like this to be done before I tag the RC.
> I won't have time to do it today. anonym, can you?

I'll wait until (hopefully) tomorrow for the reason given below.

>> It's about some string name and file layout changes. Nothing big,
>> but one change he's considering is unfortunately the name of the
>> "live.persist" file.
>
> Any idea if there's a chance a decision is made on this soon enough to
> avoid us from transitioning to a new naming scheme later on?

I convinced dba to prioritize the string renaming so we can avoid any
backwards compatibility hassle. He promised to do it tomorrow or
saturday instead, and will ping me. Once that's done I'll update the
live-persist script, and then I suppose you have to rename stuff in the
persistence configuration GUI + prepare new packages. Then the RC can be
tagged.

> (Seriously, this name was proposed and implemented *months* ago...)

Yeah. The reasons he gave were as follows:

(14:22:17) anonym: dba: ok. I'm just curious about what the issue with
the name [live.persist] is
(14:23:14) dba: anonym: 'it doesn't fit'[tm]
(14:23:33) dba: first, we're using commands with dashes (live-foo), not
dots (live.foo);
(14:24:03) dba: then, we generally do always avoid abbreviations, so
live-persist would be akward too

Cheers!