Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: headsup: new persistency in live-boot
04/05/2012 10:09 AM, intrigeri:
>> From: Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@???>
>
>> thanks to the awesome work of TAILS, we've got new persistency in
>> live-bot. it's being uploaded to experimental in a few minutes.
>
> What prevents us from shipping live-boot 3.0~a26-1 from Debian
> experimental in Tails 0.11, instead of a custom package?

At the moment live-config isn't up to date with some changes in
live-boot. It'll be fixed in live-config 3.0~a36-1 (dba will upload it
later today).

>> headsup: there are a couple of things that will change in an
>> incompatible way later on, so don't use the *experimental* version
>> for anything serious, it's *experimental*. you have been warned.
>
> This is not totally comforting a read. anonym, are you aware of what
> kind of incompatible changes are planned, who will implement such
> changes, when, and wether we're affected?

It's about some string name and file layout changes. Nothing big, but
one change he's considering is unfortunately the name of the
"live.persist" file. He promised this, however:

    dba: it's safe for tails if you use live-boot 3.0~a26-1 and
    live-config 3.0~a36-1 (which i'll upload soon to experimental,
    which will have a breaks: live-boot << 3.0~a26-1)

So if we settle for these versions all should be A-OK for the 0.11 release.

Cheers!