Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update
hi,

alan@??? wrote (13 Mar 2012 19:42:57 GMT) :
>> Even in the "System" menu? IIRC, when the "Tails" menu is not here,
>> the three shortcuts at least appear in the "System" one, but I may
>> be confused.
>>
> It seems the menu was not updated after install.

FYI, in latest and greatest liveusb-creator, there's no more Clone
launcher, but there's a unified launcher called "Tails USB installer",
that lands both into the "Tails" and "System Tools" menus, at least in
my experimental builds. I make no guarantees it's properly installed
when manually installing the .deb, though.

>>   * were the 3 attempts described above conducted in a row,
>>     in that order, without interfering in the meantime with the
>>     content of the target USB stick?
>>     (e.g. installing a 0.10.x Tails using "cat *.iso >" is what
>>     I would call interfering here)

> The initial tails USB stick was installed that way.

Thanks, but that does not answer my question.
Please notice the "in a row" and "in the meantime" parts,
or, well, let's forget that old initial bunch of tests.

>> * has the target USB stick contained a isohybrid Tails in the past?
>>
> Yes, all of them contained tails O.10.x installed with cat

Thanks. I think this explains most of the problems you've
experienced initially.

>> Also, please retry any failing attempt by running liveusb-creator
>> from a terminal, with the exact same options, and the "-v" option
>> added to get debugging messages?
>>
> I can't reproduce the exact same tests.
> See below for new tests.

Ok, so I'll forget about the initial test reports that I can't do
anything with, and focus on the new ones.

> Why not. I would love that for 1.0 we have an easy way to install
> Tails without burning any CD, at least from linux (working
> installable Tails usb installer?). I find it so more practical, and
> machines without CD reader are becoming quite common.

Sure.

> New tests
> =========

> 1) Install Tails experimental
> -----------------------------

> All the following tests are performed with Tails build 20120313 from the
> 'experimental' branch from commit 5078468.

> A copy of the resulting iso was 'isohybrid'ed and copied to an USB
> stick with 'cat'.

You answered me on IRC already for that one, but in the future, please
make it clear what you exactly mean by "isohybrid'ed", e.g.
exact options passed to isohybrid, or lack thereof.

> 2) First test
> -------------

> Boot Tails installed in 1

> a) Create live USB

[...]
> Remark: it is unclear that one should click "Next" to accept erasing
> MBR whe, the log window display:

>     Warning: All data on the selected drive will be lost.
>     Press 'Next' if you wish to continue

I'm not sure what you mean, what's missing or unclear in there, and
what should be clear. Please rephrase and/or make more explicit.

> 3) Second test

[...]
> e) Reboot

> Tails-greeter do *not* ask for a passphrase.

It seems to me every such bug you reported in this bunch of tests was
caused by the live-boot / live-persist bugs anonym has fixed. I'll do
my own testing.