Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (08 Mar 2012 16:39:42 GMT) :
> * has the target USB stick contained a isohybrid Tails in the past?

> Also, can you please follow instructions in
> wiki/src/doc/resetting_usb_stick/linux (experimental or
> feature/usb_installer branch) to reset that weird USB stick, and
> then retry?

FWIW, next liveusb-creator snapshot (3.11.4-7) will gently support
even such weird USB sticks and suppress the need to reset these before
using them as targets for the USB installer. I have good hopes it
fixes some, if not all, of the failure cases our dear bold Alan has
discovered in wild, unknown lands where one finds lots of very unusual
USB sticks.

(The reset instructions are necessary, still, for the remorseless ones
who want to get their Tails USB stick back from the weird isohybrid
recursive partition table world, or from the funny GPT one, e.g.
in order to drop it back into the sad one-single-big-FAT32-partition
boring life. Poor decommissioned USB sticks.)

Cheers.