Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update
Hi,

Thank you for testing! I'm sorry it was that painful for you.

Please see (and reply to) questions bellow, because unfortunately
there's nothing I can do with these reports as is.

alan@??? wrote (05 Mar 2012 00:30:46 GMT) :

> 1) use "clone tails" from tails experimental

> First, a message is displayed in the white log box asking to click Next to
> continue. I first didn't realize this was not a log but I had to do
> somethong.
> I clicked on "Next" and then got "Failure while creating live USB"
> asking to click "Next" again.
> Clicking next, the installer now complains that there is less than 4G
> free, while the USB stick is actually 4G. It refuse to continue.

Interesting. Never seen that. I can find no such occurence of the "4"
or "G" words in the source. It would help a lot if you could provide
exact error messages instead of descriptions written in your
own style.

> 2) use tails 0.10.1 use "Clone Tails" from feature/usb_installer .deb

> There is no menu entry "Clone Tails".

Even in the "System" menu? IIRC, when the "Tails" menu is not here,
the three shortcuts at least appear in the "System" one, but I may
be confused.

> I started liveusb creator using the commandline in the .desktop. It
> seems to work but install 0.10.1, which is not useful to test
> persistence.

> 3) use tails 0.10.1 use "install from ISO" from feature/usb_installer .deb

> Seems to work, but at the end it fails:

It's funny you get different results in your image built from the
experimental branch than in 0.10.1 + .deb, because unless you got an
obsolete version of either branch, the liveusb-creator version is
exactly the same in both branchs.

>     Installing bootloader...
>     Unmounting /dev/sdd1
>     Failed to add parition1 (permission denied)
>     coericting to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
>     LiveUSB creation failed!
>     coericting to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

> I tried to boot that key anyway, but my BIOS shout "Missing OS"

What was the target device for this last attempt? It looks as if
a partition, instead of the raw device (e.g. /dev/sdd), was selected.
(I don't even remember if the GUI allows to do so, though. If it does,
that's a bug.)

Anyway, I need some additional information to do anything with these
bug reports that I cannot reproduce:

  * was the target USB stick the same in the 3 attempts
    described above?

  * were the 3 attempts described above conducted in a row,
    in that order, without interfering in the meantime with the
    content of the target USB stick?
    (e.g. installing a 0.10.x Tails using "cat *.iso >" is what
    I would call interfering here)

* has the target USB stick contained a isohybrid Tails in the past?

Also, can you please follow instructions in
wiki/src/doc/resetting_usb_stick/linux (experimental or
feature/usb_installer branch) to reset that weird USB stick, and
then retry?

Also, please retry any failing attempt by running liveusb-creator from
a terminal, with the exact same options, and the "-v" option added to
get debugging messages?

> An additional issue, which might be a feature, is that tails
> experimental seems not to be an hybrid iso anymore, which would force to
> burn a CD for the first step, or to cheet whth isohybrid as I did.

Right. Some hardware is not able to boot CDs burnt from hybrid ISOs,
hence the non-hybrid images now that we can afford it. It won't be
a problem, for those who managed to install Tails using the good old
"cat >" method, to add an additional isohybrid command into the mix.
For the others, burning a CD/DVD will be needed as a first step.