[Tails-dev] bug fixing workflow clarification

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] bug fixing workflow clarification
Hi,

the resolution of bugs/broken_foxyproxy_i2p_pattern was half-done, and
half-done in an annoying and error-prone way, so I fear there was some
misunderstanding of our bug resolution workflow. Let me summarize for
clarity's sake:

1. The bug fixing branch was not merged anywhere. Considering the bug
was marked as done, I doubt anyone would have thought in a month to
merge that branch into devel or stable, so in the end the bug would
probably not have been fixed. I've merged the bugfix branch into
devel.

2. The bug fixing branch was forked from devel. This makes it
impossible to merge it into our stable branch. I had to cherry-pick
the relevant commit into there, which means it will appear twice in
our history (ugly and error-prone) once 0.11 is released. Ideally,
bug fixing branches should be forked from the last released tag.

3. The bug was marked as "done". This should only be done once the bug
was solved in a *released* version of Tails. Re-tagged as pending,
since next point-release and major release will have the bugfix.

Thanks for your attention :)

Our contribute/git documentation may be missing some bits and lagging
behind current best practices. Improvements are welcome!