Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter Git repo

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter Git repo
Hi,

Max wrote (17 Feb 2012 16:47:55 GMT) :
>> During testing, I found that keyboard layout selected by the user
>> was *not* immediatly used inside the greeter, and found bug was
>> introduced by 85ddb5c: "change layout order to default for non-US"
>> that I reverted. Max, do you know what this commit was supposed
>> to fix?

> That's to avoid user's confusion: for example most of the
> Russian-speaking users I know prefer to use passwords in English.

Do you mean, inside their {desktop,web} apps too?
If so do they switch their keyboard layout to US before entering, say,
their GMail password? Or do they use the US layout permanently?

> Since we have keyboard indicator it felt more natural to allow user
> to switch language and layout separately. Feel free to revert it if
> you think it's less confusing to do it other way around.

I find it very much less confusing the other way around.
And the keyboard indicator is gone, btw.

Having only *one* place where information about desired keyboard
layout is displayed, can be changed, and matches the actual current
keyboard layout, like our master branch currently does, seems best.

>> I also found that tails-greeter UI is *not* immediatly localized when
>> the user change the language. I was unable to find a tails-greeter
>> version in which this feature was working. I tried some stuff in branch
>> "bugfix/apply_language" of Tails tails-greeter repo, but was unable to
>> fix the bug. Max, do you remember version where this feature was
>> working?

> The issue is most likely due to lacking\incomplete translation. I've updated it and
> tested for Russian - works fine for me: take a look in master branch in my git repo.

I would have been happy to cherry pick your last translation commit
(b88c31fe), but it also contains an unrelated change, that is
importing back a duplicated piece of code that we have removed:

+from GdmGreeter.gsocpanel import GsocPanel

So I had to painfully extract your (much welcome!) Russian translation
update from that commit. Could you please save translation updates
into separate commits in the future?

> Please follow steps from README.translators.

Done in tails-greeter (0.1.1~5.gbp40e870) that I'll push later today.

> If the error persist - attach log file /var/log/gdm3/:0-greeter.log and indicate
> which language you're using for tests.

Confirmed. Seems like Alan did his tests without updating the POT/PO
files. Thanks for the hint! This works nicely in 0.1.1~5.gbp40e870.