Re: [Tails-l10n] Spanish translations submitted through the …

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Spanish translations submitted through the website
Hi,

> I'm concerned about the quality of the Spanish translations
> submitted on the website.

I was too: someone repeatedly posted translations that were buggy and
totally unusable: they replaced the English text in the msgid field
with the Spanish translation. Again and again.

> I wanted to ask here what shall we do about such translations:
> - discard them?
> - correct them? (are there any Spanish native speakers in here?)
> - leave them as such?

> It's a bit weird as well to have to do that without being in contact
> with the original translator in order to verify my assumptions.

Are there any pages that are well-translated into Spanish (let alone
maintained) on our website?

If there are none, or only few unmaintained and old ones, I think we
should simply remove this language from the list of those "supported"
by our website. This way, people interested in doing this work will
have to go through the process of establishing contact with us and ask
us to enable it again. I have no idea what the outcome of this
discussion will be, but it cannot be worse, apparently, than the
current state of things.

While we're at it...

  $ find . -type f -name *.es.po -exec git grep Last-Translator {} \; \
    | grep -v 'FULL NAME'
    index.es.po:"Last-Translator: \n"
    download.es.po:"Last-Translator: Rodrigo Andrade <planetaskoria@???>\n"

... maybe we could start with getting in touch with Rodrigo Andrade
and ask him how much if he's interested to join this mailing-list?