[Tails-dev] Localized text consoles [Was: tails-greeter 0.1.…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Localized text consoles [Was: tails-greeter 0.1.0]
hi,

Max wrote (03 Nov 2011 16:02:55 GMT) :
> it looks like they configure console(s) before the boot process is
> over e. g. before consoles are initialized.

Correct. (IIRC, the console-setup initscript initializes consoles,
based on configuration found in files in /etc/default/, that were
seeded earlier by live-config scripts.)

> So if my understanding of linux boot process is correct, the only
> way to reconfigure console the same way from tails-greeter is by
> rebooting entire system which is hardly an acceptable solution.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not tails-greeter "flaw" - it's the
> limitation imposed by linux boot process and console & X init
> sequence. In very distant future it probably could be worked around
> (via some crazy trick with wayland and systemd for example) but for
> now the only meaningful "fix" is to document this.

You are right this does not look like an easy problem.

Something along these lines would probably work:

Autologin on text consoles at boot time, as Tails currently does.
But autologin should:

  1. display "Press enter to activate this console"
  2. when enter is pressed, run "sudo setupcon"
  3. then one gets her "normal" shell, with console and keyboard
     properly localized

It might be that inserting #1 where appropriate in .profile does the job.

So, autologin shall be re-enabled in the tails-greeter branch of
tails.git, but in a way that it does not skip the graphical greeter.

What do you think?

intrigeri <intrigeri@???>