Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI and gtkme

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Martin Owens
To: intrigeri
Alte Treads: Re: [Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** Re: Tails-greeter UI and gtkme
Betreff: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI and gtkme
On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 11:47 +0200, intrigeri wrote:
> to be convinced we need it...

I don't think it's my job to convince you. It's not something I'm
terribly attached to and you guys seem to know your way around gtk well
enough to deal with a lot of the complexities of the api without any
help.

Consider gtkme training wheels for the lazy. You're big boys, you can
remove them, I won't mind. :-)

If I was serious about getting some of the concepts used more, I'd have
pushed it into pygtk and perhaps further upstream. As it is the lib is a
convenience; it splits out the concept of the gtk app from the gtk
windows, manages directories, gloops, possible threading (think GIL vs
gtk), passing variables around when required. It also has a form window
which makes writing wizard patterns easier and can tie signals
automatically to methods on the window class. For more details, look at
the code, it's very short.

For some applications, it can reduce your code base size and reduce
duplication. But i know a lot of gtk developers who prefer to write
everything our long hand so they know where everything is. That's fine.

Martin,