Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter languages

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter languages
Hi,

alan@??? wrote (23 Jul 2011 22:07:36 GMT) :
> As a user, I imagine I would prefere to have a partially translated UI
> than english, and it seems wired not to be able to access nice
> translations that are in debian. That would argue for 2).

I'm very much in favour of this one.

> But on the other hand, some applications Tails ships have separated
> i18n packages (I think of openoffice and iceweasel) and as we won't
> probably install all of them for image size reasons, it seems
> resoneable to have a list of (better) supported languages for which
> we install these packages. This seems me to be the current approach
> (in 0.7.x) and to argue for 1).

IMHO, the current approach is due to syslinux limitations only.
I fail to understand why not shipping iceweasel-l10n-XX would be a
reason for preventing the XX-speaking user to get a GNOME translated
into the XX language.

About image size: we decided some time ago we should not let image
size block improvements, and allow ourselves to push the limit to 1GB
as soon as we have a USB installer ready; not that I was that much in
favour of this decision, but still. I've therefore done some
measurements (in a Squeeze amd64 chroot):

- iceweasel-l10n-* : 11MB compressed .deb
- openoffice.org-l10n-*: 210MB compressed .deb

(SquashFS rootfs compression give generally better results than
per-package compression)

=> supporting a lot of languages, the same way as we currently support
only a handful, seems doable once we go the 1GB way.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>