[T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x
Hi,

Input data:

  - a great number of Tails 0.7 users are affected by Debian bug
    #618665 (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=618665)
  - this bug is fixed in an updated kernel that is available in the
    squeeze-proposed-updates repository, but not in the main Squeeze
    repository yet
  - the DHCP software shipped in Tails 0.7 is affected by a remote
    arbitrary code execution flaw (DSA-2216)

=> I think we should prepare and publish a 0.7.1 release that would
fix these bugs, presumably using the updated kernel from s-p-u.

On the other hand, as stated in our design document, we generally want
to ship the latest kernel available in Debian backports for better
hardware support; we can expect 2.6.38 to reach backports pretty soon:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2011/04/msg00027.html

So I'm not sure what we should do.

What do you think? Shall we wait for 2.6.38 to be available in
backports and ship it in 0.7.1? Does it seem robust and tested enough
for our needs?

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>