Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x

> > On the other hand, as stated in our design document, we generally want
> > to ship the latest kernel available in Debian backports for better
> > hardware support; we can expect 2.6.38 to reach backports pretty soon:
> >
> >    http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2011/04/msg00027.html

> > So I'm not sure what we should do.
> >
> > What do you think? Shall we wait for 2.6.38 to be available in
> > backports and ship it in 0.7.1? Does it seem robust and tested enough
> > for our needs?

Go for 2.6.38. There is a few Dell laptops with Nvidia card that does
not work using the nouveau driver that is in the Squeeze kernel.

Now that we are in the kernel mode setting (KMS) world, I think we need
to follow newer versions in order to support as many graphic devices as
we can. Somehow annoying, but I don't think there is much room there.

(At least until we get a new boot menu with a failsafe option that would
blacklist all DRM modules, pass vga=XXX and use the Xorg 'vesa' driver.)

> I think it might be a bit soon to ship this kernel into tails yet. Sounds
> like it'd need some more testing, but maybe I'm wrong. Do others here run
> this kernel since some times?

I use one laptop that has this damn Nvidia adapter. It's been running
under 2.6.38 without any issues. But enhanced latency:

http://lwn.net/Articles/418884/

--
alan@???