[T(A)ILS-dev] Freeze ->0.7?

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [T(A)ILS-dev] Freeze ->0.7?
Hi,

Now that all serious Squeeze-related regressions I know of have been
fixed in our devel branch, I'd like to start stabilizing a 0.7 release
based on Debian Squeeze.

The main issue I have with this process is that work has been started
not very long ago on two pretty interesting features (wipe memory on
media removal, minimal bridges support); big parts of this work are
done, but it seems these features still need some more care before we
can dare announcing and supporting any of those. I would be delighted
if these features could make it into 0.7, but I would prefer not to
treat it as release blockers. Also, it seems to me both are somehow
optional, i.e. users who don't actively do anything to use one of
these will not suffer from it being not perfect

=> I think we should release 0.7 with these features in half-done
state in case their implementation / documentation lags behind the
rest of the stabilization and testing work.

I therefore propose merging the current devel branch into the testing
branch and partially freeze the testing branch; changes that may enter
testing during the freeze period would be:

  A. fixes for grave bugs
  B. fixes for not-so-grave bugs when we are sure the fixes won't break
     anything else
  C. non-invasive enhancements of the two features I was talking of,
     i.e. they must not touch areas that can break other stuff

I propose this merging + freeze to happen at the end of the current
week in order to leave a bit more time to work on the two
aforementioned features.

Depending on the state of these features at the time of the release,
we might or might not mention it in the announcement, or announce it
as experimental and unsupported, or whatever we feel like is
appropriate.

What do you think/feel about this?

Bye,
--