[Badgirlz-list] White Male Embodiment

Author: Errata
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] White Male Embodiment
Magari interessa a qualcuno (in questo caso uomini):

CFP: White Male Embodiment (04/01/04; Collection)

We are gathering articles for a proposed collection on
the white male
body as text and representation.

Recently, a number of scholars have responded to the
lack of
scholarship

pertaining to manhood and the male body, and have paid
increasing
attention to the role and status of white men. This
recent work
suggests

that embodying white men usefully dismantles the myth
of a monolithic
disembodied privileged white manhood. Not
surprisingly, this still
relatively new focus on the white male body and white
male difference
has provided a beginning rather than an end and still
leaves a
significant gap.

This collection aims to help fill a particular gap by
focusing
specifically on fictional and historical white male
figures whose
bodies are inscribed or made visible and thus extend
and challenge
narratives of white male disembodiment. We are
interested in how
different historical forces/politics/systems such as
monarchy, science,

imperialism, industrialism, and nationhood have
produced narratives and

representations of embodied white men. We are also
interested in how
these bodily texts in turn produce, represent, and/or
threaten specific

historical/social/political contexts. Papers may deal
with the
literature of any country and any time period but must
offer arguments
that are rooted in specific historical and cultural
contexts. Papers
that deal with periods prior to the nineteenth century
are especially welcome.

please send via email or regular mail proposals or
completed papers to:

Dr. Penny Ingram
Assistant Professor
Department of English