[NuovoLaboratorio] (no subject)

Author: Paola Manduca
Subject: [NuovoLaboratorio] (no subject)
una proposta di missione di pace che mi arriva da leo gabriel, austri=
a e
che vi sottopongo per eventuale partecipazione. Leo sar=E0 a Londra a=
dar=E0 i
dettagli, se qualcuno =E9 interessato posso fare da tramite, anche do=
po il 12
marzo.
pm

WAGING CIVIL SOCIETY AGAINST WAR
A Peace Proposal for the People of Iraq

Considering the imminence of war and its unpredictable and potential=
ly
disasterous consequences, and deeply moved by the gravity of global
poltical and military tensions, the social movements and human rights
organisations which met during the recent World Social Forum in Porto
Alegre decided to follow the call of the European Social Forum in Fl=
orence
and work for a general mobilisation of all peace loving activists
throughout the world. These efforts were joined by thousands of socia=
l and
humanitarian networks in Europe, North- and South America, Asia and
Northern Africa. As a result, on February 15th, 2003, millions of peo=
ple
gathered in the streets and central places of the major cities around=
the
world to express their protest against the ongoing warmongering by th=
governments of the United States and Great Britain. Their common dema=
nd:
STOP THE WAR AGAINST THE PEOPLE OF IRAQ!
Following this call thousands of anti-war activists prepared themselv=
es to
act as 'human shields' to protect the people of Iraq against the imme=
diate
threat they face from the weapons of mass destruction being prepared =
at the
military bases of the United States of America and its allies. The Ir=
aqi
people are already suffering from the consequences of the Gulf War in=
1991,
the embargo, and a long and enduring authoritarian regime.

In this context, a delegation formed by the social and humanitarian
networks of different Social Forums around the world will be visiting
several regions of Iraq. From the 7th to the 16th March, the delegat=
ion
will be holding discussions on a PEACE PROPOSAL with representatives=
of
local, regional and national civil society, political parties, religi=
ous
associations etc. as well as regional and national governmental
organisations. This PEACE PROPOSAL consists of the following five poi=
nts:

1) All parties and governmental institutions (civil or military) invo=
lved
in conflicts in and against Iraq will abstain from any form of milita=
ry
action that could lead to the loss of human lives and to ecological
disaster -adding strength to the common efforts of the social movemen=
ts and
humanitarian networks around the world to stop the war against Iraq.

2) They will join forces with the worldwide anti-war-movements in
demanding that the United Nation's Security Council lift the embargo
against Iraqimmediately; this embargo continues to cause and deepen =
the
suffering of the civilian population, without changing substantially=
the
power-relations within the country.

3) The governmental and non governmental organisations who sign this
proposal not only undertake to obey the principles of human rights as=
they
are laid out by the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights but they=
will
also allow and support independent observers of social and humanitari=
an
networks from different countries around the world to verify the
Declaration is adhered to .

4) The governmental and non governmantal organisations of Iraq accept
wholeheartedly the right of all peoples and cultural or religous
communities to self-determination within the boundaries of regional
autonomies, such as that granted to the Kurdish population. This impl=
ies
the creation of a truely multicultural and plurinational federal Stat=
e.

5) All parties, governments and civil or military entities in and ar=
ound
Iraq accept the Right to Mediation as the only legitimate way to so=
lve
their conflicts. Together with the anti-war-movements around the worl=
d they
raise their claim to the International Community to establish this R=
ight
to Mediation as a fundamental principle of international relations. =
This
should be applied immediately in order to stop the war against Iraq.

=09A PEACFUL WORLD IS POSSIBLE!

=09=09=09=09=09=09Vienna, february 20th, 2003

Please think about you or other people who might integrate our delega=
tion from
the 8th (not 7th) to the 16th of march. In the case you or somebody e=
lse from
Italy would make up his/her mind please tell me names and passport nu=
mbers for
the visas. Cost of the trip: aound 1 500.- Euros.

Lokking forward to see you

Leo
>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:43:45 +0100
>> >From: Leo Gabriel <gabriel.lai@???>
>> >To: f.edlingersaar.at@???,
>> >       christophe aguiton <caguiton@???>, baier@???,
>> >       Paola Manduca <magma2@???>,
>> >       Jonathan Neale <findjonathan@???>
>> >Subject: Delegation to Iraq

>> >Dear friends,
>> >
>> >Please consider this first draft of a proposal which will be disc=

ussed
>> >at the meeting of anti-war-networks in London on march, 1st. Sinc=

e it is
>> >not yet approved please handle it with discretion and don=B4t put=

it on
>> >any mailing lists.
>> >
>> >As far as now there are delegates from Austria, France, Greece,
>> >Nicaragua and Hungary. If you know from other people please let m=

e know.

>> >I would be glad to integrate any suggestions from you.
>> >
>> >with best wishes
>> >in solidarity
>> >
>> >Leo Gabriel
>> >--
>> >Ludwig-Boltzmann Institute
>> >for Contemporary Research
>> >on Latin America
>> >Laudongasse 40
>> >1080 Vienna

Paola Manduca, Prof.
Dipartimento di Oncologia,Biologia e Genetica
Universit=E0 di Genova
4=B0piano, Palazzo delle Scienze
26, C.Europa
16132, Genova