[Cm-crew] car buster bollettino 41

Author: toni_i
Subject: [Cm-crew] car buster bollettino 41
CAR BUSTERS BULLETIN >>>=20
     _____________________________=20

Edition no. 41 - December 2002 - English version

Thought for the month:

"With the power to cross any terrain comes the responsibility to=20
protect that terrain and its potentially fragile ecosystems."
- from the brochure for the Hummer H2 SUV (4x4), the adapted military=20
vehicle which sets a new standard in fuel inefficiency went on=20
general sale earlier this year.
<http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/112502.html>

This bulletin was ordered by the trembling hand of Richard Lane, and=20
was received by 1,015 of you lucky recipients. Well done, everyone.

Contents:

In Memory
- IVAN ILLICH DIES IN BREMEN AT 76

World News
- CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LAWS UNDER ATTACK FROM BUSH
- ITALY COMMEMORATES THE ROAD DEAD
- TOTALFINAELF CAUGHT USING FORCED LABOUR IN BURMA?
- THE US VERSUS THE ROAD: BATTLES IN SEATTLE, MINNEAPOLIS AND UTAH
- BP CONQUERS GEORGIA
- SPANISH COASTLINE OIL DISASTER: WHO'S TO BLAME?

Announcements
- UK TRANSPORT PLANNERS CALL TO ARMS
- CALENDAR OFFER FROM RE~CYCLE IN THE UK
- RECYCLE CALENDAR OFFER FROM THE USA
- NO CALENDAR OFFER FROM RECYCLE IN YUGOSLAVIA
- ITDP INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON HUMAN MOBILITY IN BOGOTA

Car Busters Announcements
- A REMARKABLE NEW CARBUSTERS.ORG WEBSITE (AND E-MAIL)
- LAST-MINUTE CHRISTMAS OFFERS
- TOWARDS CAR-FREE CITIES III UPDATE

Things to Read
- MEAN STREETS 2002

Disclaimer

_______________=20

     IN MEMORY >>=20
     __________________=20

IVAN ILLICH DIES IN BREMEN AT 76
[submitted by Randy Ghent, Car Busters]

We at Car Busters are saddened to report that Ivan Illich - world-
renowned writer, critical thinker, philosopher and honorary Car=20
Buster - died this Monday, Dec. 2 in Bremen, Germany, at age 76. Ivan=20
was known for the laser quality of his mind which allowed him to=20
pierce through many of the opacities and cherished concepts of our=20
times - development, design, health, transportation, needs, schooling=20
- the list goes on and on. His many books and essays serve as=20
intensely provocative invitations for critical thought and action.=20
His classic "Energy and Equity"=20
(<http://www.carbusters.org/freesources/EnergyandEquity.php>) is one=20
of the most brilliant and thought-provoking pieces on transportation=20
ever written. It remains as relevant today as in 1973, when it was=20
first published in Le Monde.
For several days in November last year, I had the pleasure of=20
joining Ivan and his friends and colleagues for an unforgettable=20
visit in Bremen at the home of historian Barbara Duden, where Ivan=20
lived for many years while teaching at the university. This launched=20
our continuing collaborative work on transportation and urban form=20
with Illich's close colleagues from the "PUDEL" circle=20
(<http://www.pudel.uni-bremen.de/>), which lives on after Ivan's=20
death.
The world has lost a great thinker. Ivan Illich's many friends and=20
close colleagues around the world will miss him dearly. Let us honor=20
his death by re-reading some of his important works and sharing in=20
his spirit of radical thought and action.
A bibliography of Illich's books can be found at=20
<http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ira/illich/bibliography.html>. For the=20
Associated Press article on Illich's death, see=20
<http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-obit-
illich1204dec04,0,245031.story?coll=3Dsns-ap-world-headlines>.

_______________=20

     WORLD NEWS >>=20
     __________________=20

CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LAWS UNDER ATTACK FROM BUSH
[submitted by Andy Singer]

True to everyone's predictions, as reported in the August 2002=20
bulletin, California's new tough fuel efficiency standards are being=20
challenged by an unholy alliance of car manufacturers and the Bush=20
Administration itself.=20
Yes: Bush is using taxpayers' dollars to fight a popular=20
environmental bill which was passed into state law. The laws don't=20
come into effect into 2009 at the earliest, and the Alliance of Auto=20
Manufacturers is confident it can see the bill rescinded before then.=20
They say that they are committed to lower-emission vehicles, but=20
don't want to be hurried. William Clay Ford Jr.: "People used to=20
write songs about T-Birds and Corvettes. Now they write regulations."=20
Funny man.=20
TAKE ACTION - write on-line to the car manufacturers involved:=20
<http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/litigationbyautos>.

ITALY COMMEMORATES THE ROAD DEAD
[submitted by Nicholas Bawtree]

On Wednesday, November 13, the Italian Association for the Families=20
of Road Victims organised a dramatic silent protest in piazza San=20
Lorenzo in Lucina di Roma against the slaughter that happens every=20
day on the roads (9,000 deaths, 24,000 disabled and 300,000 injured=20
every year: official figures). Two hundred red-stained crosses with=20
photos of victims simulated a cemetary. They asked citizens to sign a=20
petition entitled "a bet on life" ("una scommessa per la vita"), and=20
demanded more action from the government to reduce road deaths.
More info in Italian on=20
<http://www.vittimestrada.org/rassegna_croci.html>.

ELF LAUNCHES FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT ON SUVS
[submitted by someone in a black hoodie with an anonymous e-mail=20
address]

More than 30 SUVs (sport-utility vehicles, aka 4x4s) in the vicinity=20
of Richmond, Virginia, USA, have been attacked with chemicals and=20
hatchets over the past few weeks and had their tyres slashed. The=20
initials ELF (Earth Liberation Front) were found after some of the=20
attacks - "legitimate claims of responsibility," according to the ELF=20
website.
See the ELF website:=20
<http://www.earthliberationfront.com/news/2002/112702.shtml>.

TOTALFINAELF CAUGHT USING FORCED LABOUR IN BURMA?
[swiped from BBC News]

The French energy giant, TotalFinaElf, has denied claims that it used=20
forced labour to build an oil and gas pipeline in Burma. "It is=20
unimaginable that a company like ours could have used forced labour=20
at any time," a TotalFinaElf spokesman said. "Neither we nor our=20
service suppliers have used forced labour."=20
The giant is facing a legal inquiry into allegations of human=20
rights abuses after French lawyers filed a complaint on behalf of two=20
Burmese workers who took part in building the US$1.3 billion pipeline=20
through Myanmar, known as Burma.
In a legal filing with an investigating magistrate in Nanterre,=20
west of Paris, the lawyers have accused the energy giant's chairman,=20
Thierry Desmarest, of holding the workers against their will. The=20
crime carries a 20-year sentence according to French law.=20
The lawyers' complaint was filed three months after TotalFinaElf=20
was accused by refugees in Belgium of actively supporting Burma's=20
military regime [since] TotalFinaElf built the pipeline together with=20
Unocal of the US from an offshore Myanmar site to Thailand.=20
The story is on <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2224298.stm>.

THE US VERSUS THE ROAD: BATTLES IN SEATTLE, MINNEAPOLIS AND UTAH
[submitted by Jim Delacour, Ken Avidor and Jason Bultman]

The battle against roadbuilding is back on in the US too. In=20
Minneapolis, Minnesota, a $150 million road-enlargement project is=20
underway on Interstate 35. This far-sighted community project will=20
involve demolition of dozens of homes in a low-income neighbourhood=20
and the probable widening of a main street into eight lanes for=20
access. The locals are mobilising to stop this sorry (but familiar)=20
story of vested corporate interests and disregard for community. A=20
funding vote is coming up soon, and they need people to contact the=20
Hennepin County Board. Please drop in on <http://www.stride-mn.org>=20
for more information.
Better news from Utah, where a coalition of environmentalists,=20
"sensible-growth advocates" and Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson,=20
has succeeded in a lawsuit against the Legacy Highway project, a new=20
120-mile road through wetlands and farmland from Nephi to Brigham=20
City. The federal appeals court called the permitting process=20
"inadequate... arbitrary and capricious," finding that the=20
environmental impact study did not adequately look at alternatives.
Meanwhile in Seatttle, through Referendum 51 residents have turned=20
down a huge roadbuilding scheme despite enormous transportation=20
problems and gridlock looming in the area. The result was probably=20
mainly due to the taxes which would have to be levied to pay for the=20
scheme, but the vote has leant authority to the environmental=20
organisations calling for public transportation concepts absent in=20
the referendum.
"The hope is that these organisations and their adherents will now=20
limit freeway and road expansion plans and bring forth a referendum=20
that delivers a range of mass transit options, such as monorail,=20
commuter rail, light rail, buses and more," says Seattle commuter Jim=20
Delacour.

BP CONQUERS GEORGIA
[submitted by CEE Bankwatch Network and Green Alternative]

Water sanctuary zones and forests in the Borjomi Gorge, one of=20
Georgia's most scenic and dramatic areas - abundant in wildlife=20
including Caucasian deer and brown bear - has been protected in a=20
nature reserve since 1929. So what happens when the Georgian=20
International Oil Company (GIOC) wants to lay an oil pipeline through=20
it? The government granted permission for construction of the Baku-
Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline project from November 30. The government said=20
the decision was made in order to meet the timetable of British=20
Petroleum, which is leading the project.
No alternative routing was considered in the Environmental and=20
Social Impact Assessment, BP having made it clear to the government=20
that no alternative would be considered. A GIOC spokesman shrugged=20
off environmental concerns, saying that due to the pipeline=20
operator=92s high professionalism the risk would be "zero minus one."
NGOs and political parties have protested, holding a demonstration=20
outside the GIOC offices on November 27. "Public input was carried=20
out like a game =91Thanks for your comment, but you=92re wrong,'" says=20
Manana Kochladze from CEE Bankwatch Network. "The public was provided=20
insufficient information and major affected groups such as mineral=20
water producers or National Park administration were not invited.=20
Considering BP=92s record around the world, however, I=92m not=20
surprised."
More information at <http://www.greenalt.wanex.net>, and you can=20
read about the Borjomi Reserve at=20
<http://www.parliament.ge/SOEGEO/english/biodiv/reserves/borjomi.htm>.
By the way, adds Car Busters, this article is about Georgia the=20
country, not Georgia the US state. Shame on you if you were=20
provincial enough to think otherwise.

SPANISH COASTLINE OIL DISASTER: WHO'S TO BLAME?
[from a Friends of the Earth briefing, submitted by Shiela Freeman]

A Liberian-listed Greek company managed the Japanese-constructed and=20
Bahamian-registered Prestige. It was chartered by a Russian-owned=20
Swiss company with British directors and carrying Russian oil from=20
Latvia to Singapore. The ship was recently inspected and surveyed in=20
St. Petersburg (Russia), Dubai and Guangzhou (China), where repairs=20
were made to the part of the ship that subsequently broke. So who is=20
liable for the environmental disaster that has unfolded on the=20
Galacian coast in northwest Spain?
The 1969 Convention on Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage=20
makes the ship owner responsible for damage caused by oil spills up=20
to US$80 million. It explicitly exempts from liability the oil=20
company that chartered the ship. So the shippers are bankrupt, but=20
the oil still flows. Thank heavens.

_____________________

     ANNOUNCEMENTS >>=20
     _____________________________

UK TRASNPORT PLANNERS CALL TO ARMS
[submitted by Catherine Elliot]

As a so-called "transport planner" in an English city council, I=20
would like to coordinate some professional opposition to the UK=20
Government's massive expansion plans for the country's airports. The=20
intention is a tripling of airport capacity within 25 years,=20
equivalent to the building of a new Stansted airport every year=20
during that period.
I know Car Busters sympathisers will share my concern - after all,=20
the doctrine of "predict and provide" is partially responsible for=20
the huge number of cars on the road today: the traffic simply=20
expanded to fill the available space. The lesson has begun to be=20
learnt, and thousands of "transport planners" and promoters of=20
sustainable alternatives have been employed in recent decades to try=20
and put sticking plasters [band-aids] on the wound. Unfortunately=20
this wisdom (surprise, surprise!) hasn't filtered through to aviation=20
policy, and the government wants to create all these problems again=20
for our children to sort out.
If anyone has any contacts in transport sections of local councils=20
in the UK, please can you give them my e-mail address, or give me=20
theirs. I want a long list of transport planning signatories to a=20
strong statement. =20
Thanks, Catherine Elliott, <catherine.elliott@???>, 9 St.=20
Leonard's Place, City of York Council, York, UK.

CALENDAR OFFER FROM RE~CYCLE IN THE UK
[submitted by Merlin, <info@???>]

Many bikes are thrown away or left to rust in the UK while people in=20
Less Developed Countries (LDCs) are without transport. Re~Cycle's=20
mission is to rectify this imbalance by collecting and shipping=20
second-hand bikes and parts to LDCs, mostly to Africa. We set up=20
workshops with local charities to refurbish and maintain them, and=20
turn some into work bikes.
One of our volunteers in South Africa, Helen, has published a=20
lovely calendar, great X-mas prezzy material! To order your copy of=20
Helen Dodge's 2003 wall calendar, call Merlin on +(44)1206-38-2207=20
(work/home) or +(44)797-073-1530 (mobile) or e-mail <info@re-
cycle.org>. Cost: =A35.00 each plus postage and packing from South=20
Africa @ =A31.60 surface mail (21-35 days) or =A33.20 air mail (3-10=20
days).
Currently Re~Cycle is collecting in Essex and are working on=20
getting collection points sorted in Greenwich and Bristol. Please=20
contact us if you're interested in helping in any way, at <info@re-
cycle.org>, or check our website for volunteering opportunities and=20
on-line donations: <http://www.re-cycle.org>.

RECYCLE CALENDAR OFFER FROM THE US
[submitted by Cycle and Recycle <cyclerecycle@???>]

The "Cycle & Recycle" 2003 calendar has been put together by 16=20
organisations in North America, and features remarkable pictures=20
celebrating bicycles and bike culture taken all over the world, with=20
text in English, Spanish and French. And since the years 2003 and=20
1997 started on the same day, you can order copies of the 1997=20
calendar for less money. US$11-9 (CAN$12-10) depending on quantity.=20
Contact The Bicycle Network, PO Box 8194, PA 19101, USA, or e-mail=20
<cyclerecycle@???>.

NO CALENDAR OFFER FROM RECYCLE IN YUGOSLAVIA

Just to let you know that the eco-activist youth group, reCYCLE,=20
which is just getting off the ground in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, has no=20
plans to release a wall calendar for 2003. But watch this space=20
(until your eyes fall out).

ITDP INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON HUMAN MOBILITY IN BOGOTA
[submitted by Tim Beeney]

As long-term Car Busters followers will no doubt be aware, the city=20
of Bogota, Colombia, has made some remarkable achievements in putting=20
people before the needs of private transport. Among its credentials=20
are Latin America's largest network of cycle lanes, rapid bus=20
transit, the world's longest pedestrian corridor, and the planet's=20
biggest car-free day. The International Seminar on Human Mobility,=20
February 6-9, 2003, is your opportunity to exchange knowledge and=20
experiences with the people who have led this remarkable=20
transformation. And all proceeds from the seminar will be donated to=20
projects benefiting improved mobility for children and disadvantaged=20
groups in Bogota.
Early registration is $60; please see the website=20
<http://www.itdp.org/ISBH> for details.

______________________________=20

     CAR BUSTERS ANNOUNCEMENTS >>=20
     __________________________________=20

A REMARKABLE NEW CARBUSTERS.ORG WEBSITE (AND E-MAIL)

We're sure many of you were deeply fond of our old website, with its=20
bizarrely changing background colours and random typefaces, but=20
hopefully you'll join us in a toast to a new website, which has edged=20
its sleek and sexy way onto the World Wide Web over the course of ten=20
minutes today. Go have a look: it's at the same place=20
<http://www.carbusters.org>. Let us know what you think, and any=20
problems you find with it. Despite the remarkable intelligence of our=20
computer monkeys (who earnt a raise of three peanuts and a banana for=20
this work), there are bound to be some problems, aren't there?
And along with the sparkley new website comes a new e-mail=20
address: we'd now like you to address us as <info@???>.=20
The old one works fine, though, so don't nobody panic.

LAST-MINUTE CHRISTMAS OFFERS

Since the two books published by Car Busters Press make, in our=20
estimations, perfect Christmas gifts, we're offering them at discount=20
rates until Christmas to let you give them to all your most dearly=20
loved ones. Choose whatever combination of CARtoons and Roadkill Bill=20
books you want and get five books for 35 EUR, 40 USD, 22 GBP, 70 AUD=20
or 62 CND (shipping included), or ten books for 60 EUR, 70 USD, 38=20
GBP, 125 AUD or 110 CND (shipping still included). Go see=20
<http://www.carbusters.org/press/> for how to order by mail or credit=20
card.
Alternatively, for those of you who are motorists with less money=20
and more humility, we are offering car stickers for anyone who=20
subscribes to our magazine before Christmas. Two car stickers if you=20
tell us "I am a sorry petrolhead; in the christmas spirit of=20
forgiveness please send me some car stickers" or something along like=20
this when subscribing, either by post or in the "comments" field on=20
the on-line order form. The latest stickers are courtesy of the=20
Switch-Off campaign in Bristol, UK, which has been urging drivers to=20
switch off their engines when idling: more than ten seconds and=20
you're saving fuel and emissions. Thanks to Pete Taylor for this.

TOWARDS CAR-FREE CITIES III UPDATE
[submitted by Randy Ghent, interim conference coordinator]

This March conference, hosted by Car Busters in Prague, is shaping up=20
to be very productive, stimulating and fun. Some 75 participants from=20
across Europe and beyond will join us for the week of discussions,=20
strategy sessions, presentations and walking and biking tours. It is=20
especially intended for those already working on transport(ation)=20
issues and seeking to share ideas and experience and collaborate with=20
others at the international level. We will especially be focused on=20
practical strategy for car-free days and getting car-free cities=20
actually built. Confirmed presenters include Joel Crawford (author of=20
"Carfree Cities," editor of Carfree.com), John Whitelegg (editor of=20
World Transport Policy & Practice), and Lars Gemzoe (co-author of=20
"New City Spaces" and "Public Spaces - Public Life").
Now is the best time to register to attend. See=20
<http://www.carbusters.org/conference> for more information. That=20
site will be continually updated in the coming months.

___________________=20

     THINGS TO READ >>=20
     __________________=20

MEAN STREETS 2002
[submitted by Steven Waters]

The Surface Transportation Policy Project's "Mean Streets 2002" study=20
examines conditions for pedestrians across the USA and reports on=20
states'=20
spending and provision policies. This is the first study to draw up=20
"league=20
tables" of pedestrian safety by metropolitan area:
<http://www.transact.org/report.asp?id=3D202>.

___________________=20

     DISCLAIMER >>=20
     __________________=20

We would like to warn you not to expect your January bulletin to be=20
so=20
cheerily punctual. We at Car Busters are firm believers in the true=20
meaning of=20
mid-winter festivities: having a good time. We very much hope you=20
will do so=20
too. And remember, glass-etching cream is available at most good=20
craft stores (priced around $8-13 in the US). So be careful that you=20
don't leave any festive messages on SUVs like the ELF did - or give=20
any as a present to anyone who=20

CAR BUSTERS
Kratka 26, 100 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic
tel: +(420) 274-810-849 - fax: +(420) 274-816-727
<info@???> - <http://www.carbusters.org>

"La bicicletta =E8 il veicolo pi=F9 rapido nella via della delinquenza;=
perch=E8
la passione del pedale trascina al furto, alla truffa, alla grassazione!"

-Cesare Lombroso-