[RSF] some quotations - food for thought

Author: iradedeus
Subject: [RSF] some quotations - food for thought

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C2667F.B38283B0

"You should know from experience that in the Indies trade must be =
conducted and maintained under the protection and favour of your own =
arms and that these arms must be got out of the profits won from the =
trade, so that trade cannot be maintained without war nor war without =
trade"
Jan Pieterszoon Coen (1614)=20

"This presence (of 70,000 U.S. troops in Germany) is the basis of our =
influence in the European region and for the cooperation of allied =
nations whose security it enhances. ... it keeps European markets open =
to us. If those troops weren't there, those markets would probably be =
more difficult to access."
former secretary of state, White House chief of staff, and NATO supreme =
commander, Gen. Alexander M. Haig, Jr. (2001)

"Think hard about it. I'm running out of demons. I'm running out of =
villains."
Colin Powell (1991)

"A liberal will tell you the system isn't working properly. I will tell =
you that the system is working exactly the way it's supposed to ... I =
was in Guatemala in 1983 for the last coup. In 1985, I was in El =
Salvador; 1991, Peru; 1992, Colombia ... After reflection on my two =
decades plus of service, I am convinced that I only served the richest =
one percent of my country"
Goff S., December 22, (1999) (Stan Goff retired from the U.S. Army in =
February 1996, after serving in Vietnam, Guatemala, El Salvador, =
Grenada, Panama, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Honduras, Somalia and =
Haiti.)

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as =
something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a =
small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the =
benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses. . . I helped make =
Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I =
helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank =
boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen =
Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record =
of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international =
banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the =
Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I =
helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During =
those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell =
racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a =
few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three =
districts. I operated on three continents."=20
General Smedley Butler, USMC. Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933 =
(from www.twf.org ). General Butler was one of the few Americans to be =
twice awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor

"The so-called national security state of the past 40 years has meant =
enormous riches, and power, for those who are in the game. It has also =
meant population control - control of the people of this and many other =
countries. Bush and his team, and those they represent, will do whatever =
is necessary to keep the game going."=20
Agee, October (1990) (Philip Agee is a former CIA agent)

"Hitherto accepted norms of human conduct do not apply... long-standing =
American concepts of fair play must be reconsidered... we must learn to =
subvert, sabotage, and destroy our enemies by more clever, more =
sophisticated and more effective methods than those used against us. It =
may become necessary that the American people be made acquainted with, =
understand, and support this fundamentally repugnant philosophy."
James Doolittle explaining in a secret 1954 report to President =
Eisenhower why CIA covert operations were needed and what they entailed

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - so =
long as I'm the dictator."=20
George W. Bush, Dec. 19, 2000

"When they kill, they're terrorists. When we kill, we're striking =
against terror."=20
Solomon, "Orwellian Logic 101 - A Few Simple Lessons,"

"there are very few necessary conditions for war, and very many =
sufficient conditions"
Smith, (2001)

"Since trade ignores national boundaries, and the manufacturer insists =
on having the world as a market, the flag of his nation must follow him, =
and the doors of the nations which are closed against him must be =
battered down"
Democratic president Woodrow Wilson, about 100 years ago

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature =
because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."=20
George W. Bush, Dec. 20, (2000)

"I cannot think of a time when we have had a region emerge as suddenly =
to become as strategically significant as the Caspian."
Dick Cheney (1998)
=20
"All the conditions of life are measured by money, and what brings no =
money is nonsense, unpractical, idealistic bosh."
Friedrich Engels, The Condition of the Working Class in England

"you can't tell where Enron stops and the Bush Administration begins."=20
Tom J. Wright

"A West at the peak of its power confronts non-Wests that increasingly =
have the desire, the will and the resources to shape the world in =
non-Western ways. (...) Those countries that for reason of culture and =
power do not wish to, or cannot, join the West compete with the West by =
developing their own economic, military and political power. They do =
this by promoting their internal development and by cooperating with =
other non-Western countries."
Huntington, S.P. (1993)

"The confrontation that Islam calls for with these godless and apostate =
regimes, does not know Socratic debates, Platonic ideals nor =
Aristotelian diplomacy. But it knows the dialogue of bullets, the ideals =
of assassination, bombing and destruction, and the diplomacy of the =
cannon and machine-gun"
The Al-Quaida manual, p.9, UK-BM1 translation (located by the Manchester =
police during a search of a member's home).

"Great Britain was able to govern about a quarter of the world's =
population and land surface - and to control nearly all of its sea lanes =
- without running up an especially large defense bill (an average of =
just 3 percent of net national product between 1870 and 1913, lower for =
the rest of the 19th century). And today the United States is vastly =
wealthier relative to the rest of the world than Britain ever was. In =
1913, Britain's share of total world output was a shade over 8 percent; =
the equivalent figure for the United States in 1998 was just under 22 =
percent. Nor should anybody pretend that, at least in fiscal terms, the =
cost of expanding the American empire - even if it meant a great many =
little wars like the one in Afghanistan - would be prohibitive. Last =
year, American defense spending stood at just 2.9 percent of G.D.P., =
compared with an average for the years 1948-98 of 6.8 percent."
Ferguson, December 2, 2001

"Fighting for the unlimited Western hegemony and monopoly of the world's =
riches, camouflaged as anti-terrorism, will lead to a world-wide =
catastrophe"
Avnery, November 17 (2001)

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C2667F.B38283B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;"You should know from experience =
that in the=20
Indies trade must be conducted and maintained under the protection and =
favour of=20
your own arms and that these arms must be got out of the profits won =
from the=20
trade, so that trade cannot be maintained without war nor war without=20
trade"<BR>Jan Pieterszoon Coen (1614) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"This presence (of 70,000 U.S. troops =
in Germany)=20
is the basis of our influence in the European region and for the =
cooperation of=20
allied nations whose security it enhances. ... it keeps European markets =
open to=20
us. If those troops weren't there, those markets would probably be more=20
difficult to access."<BR>former secretary of state, White House chief of =
staff,=20
and NATO supreme commander, Gen. Alexander M. Haig, Jr. =
(2001)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Think hard about it. I'm running out =
of demons.=20
I'm running out of villains."<BR>Colin Powell (1991)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"A liberal will tell you the system =
isn't working=20
properly. I will tell you that the system is working exactly the way =
it's=20
supposed to ... I was in Guatemala in 1983 for the last coup. In 1985, I =
was in=20
El Salvador; 1991, Peru; 1992, Colombia ... After reflection on my two =
decades=20
plus of service, I am convinced that I only served the richest one =
percent of my=20
country"<BR>Goff S., December 22, (1999)&nbsp; (Stan Goff retired from =
the U.S.=20
Army in February 1996, after serving in Vietnam, Guatemala, El Salvador, =

Grenada, Panama, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Honduras, Somalia and=20
Haiti.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;"War is just a racket. A racket =
is best=20
described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the =
majority of=20
people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is =
conducted for=20
the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses. . . I helped =
make=20
Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I =
helped=20
make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to =
collect=20
revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American =
republics=20
for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I =
helped=20
purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers =
in=20
1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar=20
interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went =
its way=20
unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room =
would say, a=20
swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al =
Capone a few=20
hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three =
districts. I=20
operated on three continents." <BR>General Smedley Butler, USMC. Excerpt =
from a=20
speech delivered in 1933 (from <A =
href=3D"http://www.twf.org">www.twf.org</A> ).=20
General Butler was one of the few Americans to be twice awarded the=20
Congressional Medal of Honor</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;"The so-called national security =
state of the=20
past 40 years has meant enormous riches, and power, for those who are in =
the=20
game. It has also meant population control - control of the people of =
this and=20
many other countries. Bush and his team, and those they represent, will =
do=20
whatever is necessary to keep the game going." <BR>Agee, October (1990) =
(Philip=20
Agee is a former CIA agent)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Hitherto accepted norms of human =
conduct do not=20
apply... long-standing American concepts of fair play must be =
reconsidered... we=20
must learn to subvert, sabotage, and destroy our enemies by more clever, =
more=20
sophisticated and more effective methods than those used against us. It =
may=20
become necessary that the American people be made acquainted with, =
understand,=20
and support this fundamentally repugnant philosophy."<BR>James Doolittle =

explaining in a secret 1954 report to President Eisenhower why CIA =
covert=20
operations were needed and what they entailed</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"If this were a dictatorship, it would =
be a heck of=20
a lot easier - so long as I'm the dictator." <BR>George W. Bush, Dec. =
19,=20
2000</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"When they kill, they're terrorists. =
When we kill,=20
we're striking against terror." <BR>Solomon, "Orwellian Logic 101 - A =
Few Simple=20
Lessons,"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"there are very few necessary =
conditions for war,=20
and very many sufficient conditions"<BR>Smith, (2001)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Since trade ignores national =
boundaries, and the=20
manufacturer insists on having the world as a market, the flag of his =
nation=20
must follow him, and the doors of the nations which are closed against =
him must=20
be battered down"<BR>Democratic president Woodrow Wilson, about 100 =
years=20
ago</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to =
call it=20
hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our=20
neighborhoods." <BR>George W. Bush, Dec. 20, (2000)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"I cannot think of a time when we have =
had a region=20
emerge as suddenly to become as strategically significant as the=20
Caspian."<BR>Dick Cheney (1998)<BR>&nbsp;<BR>"All the conditions of life =
are=20
measured by money, and what brings no money is nonsense, unpractical, =
idealistic=20
bosh."<BR>Friedrich Engels, The Condition of the Working Class in=20
England</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"you can't tell where Enron stops and =
the Bush=20
Administration begins." <BR>Tom J. Wright</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;"A West at the peak of its power =
confronts=20
non-Wests that increasingly have the desire, the will and the resources =
to shape=20
the world in non-Western ways. (...) Those countries that for reason of =
culture=20
and power do not wish to, or cannot, join the West compete with the West =
by=20
developing their own economic, military and political power. They do =
this by=20
promoting their internal development and by cooperating with other =
non-Western=20
countries."<BR>Huntington, S.P. (1993)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"The confrontation that Islam calls for =
with these=20
godless and apostate regimes, does not know Socratic debates, Platonic =
ideals=20
nor Aristotelian diplomacy. But it knows the dialogue of bullets, the =
ideals of=20
assassination, bombing and destruction, and the diplomacy of the cannon =
and=20
machine-gun"<BR>The Al-Quaida manual, p.9, UK-BM1 translation (located =
by the=20
Manchester police during a search of a member's home).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Great Britain was able to govern about =
a quarter=20
of the world's population and land surface - and to control nearly all =
of its=20
sea lanes - without running up an especially large defense bill (an =
average of=20
just 3 percent of net national product between 1870 and 1913, lower for =
the rest=20
of the 19th century). And today the United States is vastly wealthier =
relative=20
to the rest of the world than Britain ever was. In 1913, Britain's share =
of=20
total world output was a shade over 8 percent; the equivalent figure for =
the=20
United States in 1998 was just under 22 percent. Nor should anybody =
pretend=20
that, at least in fiscal terms, the cost of expanding the American =
empire - even=20
if it meant a great many little wars like the one in Afghanistan - would =
be=20
prohibitive. Last year, American defense spending stood at just 2.9 =
percent of=20
G.D.P., compared with an average for the years 1948-98 of 6.8=20
percent."<BR>Ferguson, December 2, 2001</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Fighting for the unlimited Western =
hegemony and=20
monopoly of the world's riches, camouflaged as anti-terrorism, will lead =
to a=20
world-wide catastrophe"<BR>Avnery, November 17=20
(2001)<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C2667F.B38283B0--

Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/