Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Sili…

Author: noisycoil
To: NoisyCoil via Tails-dev
CC: NoisyCoil via Tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Silicon)
Dear all,

Congratulations on the 6.3 release! The arm64 builds are in the usual MEGA directory; I pushed the 6.3-{arm64,asahi,raspi} tags (6.3/{arm64,asahi,raspi} branches) to my repository a couple of hours ago.

Tails Asahi v6.3 comes with Linux v6.6. This is the latest version of the kernel which has been packaged for Debian, and for which the Asahi patchset supports speakers on most Apple Silicon machines. Backporting the Asahi audio stack to Bookworm is WIP (it's been uploaded to testing/sid only in the Debian archive), so audio is not enabled yet on Tails Asahi v6.3, but it will be in a coming release.

Other than this, I am happy to share that my first patchset for porting the Tor Browser to linux-arm64 has been merged upstream. A second patchset is currently being reviewed, and a third one will complete the series and bring full support for cross-building the Tor Browser for arm64 from x86_64. This doesn't mean there will be official arm64 builds immediately, but still, their being able to build the browser on their infrastructure is the first step in that direction.

Best,

NoisyCoil