Re: [Tails-l10n] Weblate & manual reviews of Git

Author: Sandro Knauß
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Weblate & manual reviews of Git
Hey,

> I understand that Weblate is not yet ready for production so I guess
> it's still a good time to discuss this.
>
> I would like to continue checking all changes on tails.git whenever I
> fetch it:
>
> * Would it be possible to further lower the amount of commits done by
> Weblate? What would be the other drawbacks?

We have already "lazy commit" activated to lower the amounts of commits from
beginning, that should wait as long as needed before committing. At least I
know no easy solution to lower the amount of commits further.

> * Would it be possible to document tricks on how to do such a review
> more easily (and maybe more consistently)?

Properly ;D But as I don't know what you want to spot etc. so I can't help
here.

> * 2 of these commits were particularly scary (179e0bdaba and
> fc87cf823e) and I'm glad I reviewed then :) I understand that emmapeel
> did a mistake and then fixed it, which is fine.

It was not not done by emmapeel, it were our scripts that had a race
condition. (It was just triggered by changes made by emmapeel within Weblate).
You can see that, because the committer is "tails-l10n@???" and not
emmapeel themself.

> How could prevent such mistakes from happening in the first place?

Hopefully it is done as we solved #16844.

> Has Weblate or Weblate admins the rights to override any file in
> tails.git, even if it's not a PO file? Could we restrict this further?

Weblate can only push PO file changes. But the hook that restrict Weblate
commits look at the overall change done by the commits that get pushed. That
means, that Weblate couldn't push 179e0bdaba. The combination of
179e0bdaba+fc87cf823e has no changes other than PO files, that's why this got
accepted.

hefee