Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentiveto do…

Author: alienpup
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentiveto donate on/home
sajolida wrote:
> Here is proposal for a permanent incentive to donate on /home.
> See attachment.
>
> As it raised controversy at the summit, I'm sending my proposal here
> before asking for a code review on Redmine. I'm also looking for someone
> to review my HTML, CSS, and JS :)
>
> The idea is to have a short message to encourage people to donate when
> they open Tor Browser in Tails.
>
> In the current implementation, the message would be displayed 1 every 5
> times the page is loaded. My guess is that this will attract more
> attention when the message is displayed while not bothering people too
> much the rest of the time (80% of the time).
>
> From what I could analyze from the donation campaign so far, people are
> donating fine from /home. The conversion rate from /donate to
> /donate/thanks of people coming from /home is 4.0%, actually slightly
> more than the overall conversion rate from /donate to /donate/thanks (3.7%).
> I'll refine this analysis on #15963 once I'll have all the data.
>
> In this branch, I'm also making more generic the mechanism that I used
> for the VeraCrypt surveys to display messages randomly on /home. I'm
> running the 2nd survey on VeraCrypt right now (to evaluate the results)
> and people are still very responsive to such messages (~40 answers/day).
>
> Does anybody has concerns regarding the proposed implementation?
>
> Does anybody has suggestions on how to improve it?

sajolida,

Let's consider triggering donation prompts based on both elapsed time *and* number of Tails boots/Tor Browser starts. We otherwise risk "targeting" frequent/regular/committed Tails users far more often than new/occasional/infrequent users.

The number of boots versus elapsed days can then be adjusted to focus on one of these two user groups, or both together.

regards,
alienpup