Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentive to do…

Author: intrigeri
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentive to donate on /home
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentive to donate on /home
sajolida:
> Here is proposal for a permanent incentive to donate on /home.

+1

Thanks for doing this work.

> Does anybody has suggestions on how to improve it?

I'd rather display this message less often (but perhaps in a more
flashy way). I think 20% is too much and for people who rely on Tails
the most and use it every day, it will quickly create something akin
to popup fatigue; and for folks who have donated already, nagging them
so often feels like poor taste. If we say 10%, then:

- Even a user who uses Tails only once a week will still see this
message 5 times a year on average, which I think is plenty.

- A user who only starts Tails when there's a new release (I know
some people who just keep their Tails up-to-date, don't use it at
all, but like our project) will still see this message once a year
on average, which feels OK.

- Folks who use Tails more often and have already donated are less
likely to be pissed off.

I'm not convinced the overall effect of underlining "But, not everyone
can donate" is positive: it attracts my eye and discourages me from
reading the previous sentence.

I think the "to survive" words have drawbacks and bring little value.
I would remove them. And the whole sentence could become:

"Tails needs donations from users like you."

("needs" feels more action/future-orientend than "depends" to me and
here, we want to encourage action, not analysis of a state of things)

Finally, having 2 "Donate" buttons on the same page is a bit intense.
If it's easy to do, perhaps the JS code could hide the "Donate" button
in the sidebar, when it decides to display the new thing.