Re: [Tails-l10n] [review] Re: Bad Transifex strings vs Tails…

Author: segfault
To: emma peel, tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [review] Re: Bad Transifex strings vs Tails 3.9.1
Hi,

emma peel:
> u:
>> anonym:
>>> While preparing Tails 3.9.1 I refreshed our translations but saw tons of bad translations like:
>>>
>>>     -msgstr "{beginning} এবং {last}"
>>>     +msgstr "{বিগিনিং} এবং {লাস্ট}"

>>> i.e. they are translating gettext's variable names. I couldn't import anything since each updated PO file had serious issues like these.
>
> I have been looking onto this, and there are many strings in which
> translators didn't made any mistakes, because they have a nice comment
> when translating. So I made a commit with comments that add information
> that appears in Transifex in a prominent place while translating (by
> copying the other strings)
>
> I created a translation-fixes branch in
> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/emmapeel/tails that fixes this on the first
> commit:
>
> 80b097458cd037714205e56d1e4cd80d73e58f7e
>
> Then I added more strings to the .po files by circling them in _(), but
> I do not have the setup to build an ISO, so I could not test them.
> This changes are in b9119040ab0c1bce3dd486017dbdf410d9399688 and
> segfault offered to review them.
>
> Lastly, I added the .po files changes. If any of the previous changes is
> not accepted, it may be better to skip merging the commit:
> dbfa2a1f7b5df02628bb48d95575ff7192518aef
>

> Please review (segfault offered to do so)

I reviewed it and it looks good to me. I added a few more comments which
I guess you missed. I pushed a commit to the branch on your repo (is it
OK if I do that? I'm not yet used to having commit access to the repos).

I didn't test if the comments are actually picked up by
xgettext/intltool and visible for translators, but I assume you did that
or will do that.

Cheers