Re: [Tails-l10n] Buggy Python placeholder translations in ma…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Buggy Python placeholder translations in many languages: bn_BD, ca, es, es_AS, ga, he, tr
Hi,

intrigeri:
> I've imported fresh translations from Transifex and 7 languages (see
> subject) have buggy translations of Python placeholders e.g.:

> E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-unknown-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': fin in msgstr but not in msgid
> E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-unknown-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': inicio in msgstr but not in msgid
> E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-missing-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': beginning not in msgstr while in msgid
> E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-missing-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': last not in msgstr while in msgid

This problem currently affects the following languages: bn_BD, ca, de,
el, es, es_AR, ga, he, pt_BR, tr. That is, not only it was not fixed,
but it's getting worse.

> For *this* release I'm going to fix them by hand myself in tails.git
> because I don't want the fancy new Additional Software Packages
> feature to be very broken in 7 languages in Tails 3.9.

> But my fixes won't propagate to Transifex so if nothing else is done,
> these bugs will come back during the 3.10 release process and the
> release manager will have to disable translations for these languages.

For 3.9.1 I've merely skipped importing translation updates for the
affected languages. But for 3.10 we'll likely disable translations for
these languages :/

See the email I'm replying to wrt. the steps I suggest to fix this.

Thanks in advance!