[Tails-l10n] Buggy Python placeholder translations in many …

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: [Tails-l10n] Buggy Python placeholder translations in many languages: bn_BD, ca, es, es_AS, ga, he, tr
Hi,

I've imported fresh translations from Transifex and 7 languages (see
subject) have buggy translations of Python placeholders e.g.:

E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-unknown-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': fin in msgstr but not in msgid
E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-unknown-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': inicio in msgstr but not in msgid
E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-missing-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': beginning not in msgstr while in msgid
E: ./po/es.po: python-brace-format-string-missing-argument msgid '{beginning} and {last}': last not in msgstr while in msgid

For *this* release I'm going to fix them by hand myself in tails.git
because I don't want the fancy new Additional Software Packages
feature to be very broken in 7 languages in Tails 3.9.

But my fixes won't propagate to Transifex so if nothing else is done,
these bugs will come back during the 3.10 release process and the
release manager will have to disable translations for these languages.

What I think should happen is:

1. List all these issues: temporarily revert the commit that fixes
them and then run check_po

2. Fix all these issues on Transifex, somehow (i.e. apply my fixes or
get someone with adequate credentials to do it)

3. Educate Transifex translators about these things.
In our POT file they have a "python-brace-format" comment. I hope
Transifex does not lose this information.
I think that's the most important step to avoid having such issues
coming back forever.

Anyone up to it?

The commit that fixes these issues is
620447f7dd2feb8e1a306887356015eab1eb2c75, which I'll push later today.