[Tails-ux] Report on user testing of the Additional Software…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, Alan, intrigeri, segfault, bertagaz, emma.peel
Subject: [Tails-ux] Report on user testing of the Additional Software beta
Here is a small report on the findings from the user testing of the
Additional Software beta that I did this week. By lack of official
beta, I used f25dce19c6.

Protocol
--------

I did in-person moderated tests with [5] participants. By lack of time I
recruited amongst friends who I already knew would match the profile I
wanted (even if it's not a best practice to do so).

I reused the 4 missions that we used for the paper prototyping in
January (in attachment).

[Why 5?]:
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/why-you-only-need-to-test-with-5-users/

Demographics
------------

I aimed at people who:

- Already knew what Tails was and tried it (but were not regular users).
- Could understand our interface in English (to varying levels).

As a matter of fact, all were also using Linux as their regular
operating system but with very different technical levels. I expected us
to confirm and explore serious problems around the administration
password and installation techniques, even for people who were already
familiar with Debian, so I thought that for this round it was best to
fix issues for this public already than to do more catastrophic tests
with people coming from other operating system. Given the little time I
had for recruiting, it's also the public that was easiest for me to find.

You'll find more demographics in the spreadsheet.

Summary
-------

The interface that we designed in January worked really well. Only one
participant had a very bad time and failed some of the missions.

The others took on average 30 minutes to add Mumble to their additional
software.

Most issues are around the interface itself: they are integration issues
or issues in other parts of Tails, in GNOME, or in the navigation on our
website and documentation.

The average [SUS] score is of 68 which is considered right on average
compared to other industry products.

The questions which scored below average are:

- I would imagine that most people would learn to use this system very
quickly.
- I think that I would like to use this system frequently.
- I needed to learn a lot of things before I could get going with this
system.
- I found the system very cumbersome to use.

So Tails seemed complex to understand but in the end not super hard to
use either for these people.

[SUS]:
https://www.usability.gov/how-to-and-tools/methods/system-usability-scale.html

Spreadsheet
-----------

You'll find a rainbow table with the list of issues in attachment.

- The "M" column correspond to the mission in which the issues occurred.
- The "B", "C", and "B/C" correspond to a rough cost/benefit ratio based
on a punctuation of severity of the issues (1, 2, or 3) and cost.
It's the first time I try this, so let's see if it's useful :)
- Issues in gray are affecting parts of Tails that we are not working on
as part of this project.
- Issues in bold are the top issues.
- I marked '"' when several issues could share a single solution.
- I marked '?' when I didn't know how to solve an issue.

Top 10 issues
-------------

It's hard for me to find a clear boundary between what is part of the
Additional Software project and what is not, since most of the issues
are related to integration and other bits of Tails.
To reported on the tests I decided to not make a distinction for now, as
an issue in our offline doc or GNOME can hurt someone trying to use
Additional Software as much as an issue in the Additional Software
configuration itself.

But I understand that we can't fix all these issues ourself and will
also to triage them more with the rest of the Additional Software team.

In the spreadsheet I'm also listing bugs that should be fixed even
though they didn't hurt usability during the tests.

In rough order of importance:

0. Looks for Synaptic but can’t find it (without admin password)
1. Clicks on a notification to get more info
2. Doesn’t know where the notification tray is
3. Doesn’t understand why `apt install` fails (without lists)
4. Doesn’t know which admin password to enter when prompted
5. Doesn’t find the user documentation in the offline doc
6. Doesn’t read well the documentation on admin password
7. Doesn’t notice persistence in Greeter at first
8. Expects data from session to be saved to persistence when created
9. Doubts what the [X] button does

Next steps

- Alan and intrigeri should investigate the cost of fixing these issues.
- The team should agree on which issues to tackle and in which order.
- Do a bit more Redmine on the tickets I created to encode all this.

All this might be done faster in a voice meeting.

--
sajolida