[Hackmeeting] thk

Author: ignifugo
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] thk
Il 09/03/2018 18:56, Patrice Riemens ha scritto:

> Aloha,
>
> I translated a little piece from the  Ippolita Colective's book:
> Tecnologie del Dominio (Thechnologies of Domination)
> 'a minimal lexicon for digital self-defense'
> Meltemi, Milano 2017.
> http://www.meltemieditore.it/catalogo/tecnologie-del-dominio/

great! I'm reading in italian ..

> "Hacklab : Hackerspace = Hackmeeting : Hackaton"
>
> Encounters between hackers have been customary for decenia by now.
>
> In Italy, they are a yearly occurrence, and since 1998 an
> (inter)national gathering of hackers which finds its origin in
> hacklabs is called a (trans)hackmeeting. They take place in
> occupied/squatted spaces, and are sometimes mobile events traveling
> across the Peninsula. If a hackmeeting takes place in another country,
> it becomes a transhackmeeting.

if an hackmeeting take place in a new country with the contrib of a wide
trans-national community, it become trans-hackmeeting.
Over the world exist the hiberian, mexican, bolivian, .. hackmeeting,

> A (trans)hackmeeting is a completely self-managed gathering, and there
> are no (distinction between) organisers, professionals or spectators
> -only participant. These events are intended for people passionate
> about hacking in the widest sense of the word. One needs not
> necessarily to be able to write code or self-build antennas, and it is
> not necessary either to be a computer buff, because hacking is an
> attitude, it is social, tecnical, political, cultural, artistic, ... A
> (trans)hackmeeting means putting your hands to work,
> [bricoler/bidouiller], (ex)change - together. (Trans)Hackmeetings are
> an example of such gatherings, but there are others like events
> happening all over Europe - and beyond.
>
> [Ippolita goes on describing hackatons in terms of pre-scripted,
> usually corporate or other (official) organisation sponsored events,
> where basically, the skills of hackers are exploited for the benefit
> of the  sponsors, seeking a quick - and cheap - solution for specific
> technical problems. They are also often characterized by a competitive
> atmosphere - the collaborative element happening inside rival teams.
>
> Before that, Ippolita had opposed - while admitting it was something
> of a simplification/generalisation - the more status quo, markets and
> institution friendly character of hackerspaces to the more political
> and activist hacklabs, the latter largely self-funded and managed, and
> the former being more prone to accept sponsoring or engage in
> commercial operations, and to interact with business or official
> parties. Hence the equation in the title.
>
> (Q&D Translation by Patrice Riemens
> Fiesole (FI), March 9, 2018.)
>

> My own point here was simply to present a description of
> (trans)hackmeetings I largely agree with, including its opposition to
> the large, well endowed, grandly organized, and expensive hackers
> gatherings such as happen every year in Northern Europe (Germany and
> the Netherlands) and in the USA.

I'm agree with this. And is really usefull that we try to explain
ourself to the others to come at the thk more in sync.
I suggest to share the text also in the hiberian and italian hm mailinglist.

> The book as a whole I find quite fantastic (but OK, I am their
> in-house translator and I would very much like to translate it,
> but for that to happen I would need a 'residency', that is a place to
> stay and to work, with preferably costs paid (I never ask for a fee
> for this kind of activities, but prefer not to pay for expenses and
> have the other costs reimbursed as much as possible.)
>
> So if you people have ideas/ suggestions ...

Could be a nice thing to do. I'll think about it, also because there is
a group of italian translators for the book:
soberania tecnologica vol 2 -  hacklabbo.indivia.net/book/sobtec2/
and maybe we can join the two things or find a way to do it.

Ah, yes, a week ago we had the italian pre-hackit in Rome, that is an
assembly to confirm the place and the dates for the next italian hm.
So the next italian Hackmeeting will be in Genova (north-west of italy)
on 6-7-8 of july in Buridda!

See you soon
Ignifugo