Re: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: need clarification of what the …

Author: Alan
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: need clarification of what the "Formats" option should do
Hi,

First, thanks for your quick answer !

intrigeri:
> Susan:
>> or if I understand it correctly, (2) making the
>> choice 2-step, opt-in, where first the person chooses to match the UI language to
>> their own preference (French), then sees the French calendar and opts to change that
>> to Japanese format with a second control if they want to.
>
> This is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of it. I like it!
>
> One potential problem though: I have no idea how the GNOME Settings
> would behave in this situation (it might be that they would tell the
> user that Japanese formats are already enabled, and then it might not
> be crystal clear how one can switch from "Japanese formats except
> time/date" to "Japanese formats everywhere"). Alan, could you please
> prototype this quickly and show us how this would look like? If you
> can't, just let me know and I'll do it myself :)

In the Greeter, I choose:

- "Language" > "Français (France)"
- "Formats" > "United States (English)"

Then in the session have a UI in french, a french calendar, but I use US
units (inches, letter paper, ...).

Let's try to switch to US calendar:

"Settings" > "Region & Language" > "Formats" > "United States (English)"

GNOME asks to restart for the changes to take effect. When I click on
"Restart" nothing happens.

So I see no way to change the calendar to US once logged.

But there is a trick (no idea how easy it would be to implement that
this is triggered by whatever DBus communication GNOME Settings do when
clicking "Restart"):

    $ export LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
    $ gnome-shell -r

Cheers