[Tails-ux] Survey platforms

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, Susan
Subject: [Tails-ux] Survey platforms
I'm putting Susan in explicit copy of this email even though she's on
the list, because I'm directing my question at her but I want this
discussion to happen in public.

I've read with interest your recent article on surveys [1] and I've been
thinking for a while that this should become part of our UX toolkit for
Tails (we never did any). Especially because it's a bit more tricky for
us than let's say Google to rely on other sources of data, for example
quantitative data about who our users are or what they do with Tails
since everything is so anonymous :)

[1]: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/qualitative-surveys/

So I wanted to ask you more about possible survey platforms we could use
for Tails. As a start, it's pretty clear that we would be very reluctant
to rely on proprietary third-party services (like Google Forms) and
would rather either host it ourselves (if it's free software and easy to
deploy and maintain) or rely on non-commercial and free software
third-party services (I could see ourselves consider something like
Framaforms [2] which relies on Drupal Webform but run by a
privacy-respective French association but so far it seems to be in
French only).

[2]: https://framaforms.org/

Another question I have in mind is whether such a thing could be
integrated in our website, for example, to ask a few questions on the
homepage of Tor Browser in Tails without people having to click on a
link and go elsewhere to answer the survey. Maybe there are platforms
that could receive HTTP POST submissions from static HTML forms on our
website or JavaScript platforms that could be plugged into our static
site generator...