Re: [mat-dev] Current status of MAT

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Current status of MAT
hi,

jvoisin:
> bad news today: I've decided to put MAT on hold for now (mostly for
> health reasons). I might go back to it at some point in the future,
> if/once I'm going better.

I'm sorry to read that you're in such a shape that you had to make
such a decision. But I'm happy that you were able to make the right
decision. I'm sure you too everything into account. Take care
of yourself! If I can help with anything, just ask.

> The current version of MAT (0.6.1) contains bugs[1] and doesn't work
> with Python3, so I would advise against using it.

I understand your position, and it makes sense from your PoV.

However, even with its bugs and limitations, MAT is simply the most
complete, and the only usable, solution to the problem it tackles, for
the users I care about. So I personally am not in a position to advise
against using it, because this would imply that these users simply
stop even trying to clean up metadata, which would be worse.

> If someone wants to take over the maintenance/leadership, I'll be happy
> to do my very best to help him/her.

I'm currently evaluating the idea of volunteering to be the interim
gatekeeper for a while, i.e. reviewing and merging incoming patches +
releasing. I'll need full access to https://0xacab.org/mat/mat in
order to do so. For now I'm not promising anything, but I could give
it a try for a few months, and revisit after a while.

This being said, if someone has more time+energy than me to put into
this (shouldn't be too hard), I'm very happy to skip my turn.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on the code changes with my Debian
package maintainer hat, as I've been doing basically forever :)

And to be clear, I'm *not* volunteering to maintain the code base
(e.g. porting to Python3 or writing features/bugfixes myself) nor to
lead the project.