Re: [mat-dev] Current status of MAT

Author: Christian Pietsch
To: mat-dev
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Current status of MAT
Hi jvoisin,

I sorry to read you put MAT on hold. What I find even more regrettable
is that the current version of MAT is crippled since you disabled PDF
support. This is not what Hartmut and I intended to achieve when we
reported the bug [1,2] and later wrote the blog post [3] on the
Digitalcourage website.

Before you leave MAT development, could you possibly fulfill the
feature request to bring back PDF support [4] – at least for cases it
worked before – by implementing the following procedure? MAT's check
functionality reliably detects when PDF cleaning fails. So why not try
cleaning the PDF using the old code, then automatically check the
file? If the check fails, MAT should abort with a non-zero error code
and remove the generated output file. This should be easy to
implement, don't you think?

Thanks a lot for your work on MAT! I believe people use it for
important things, and even more people should be using it.

All the best,
Christian

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11067
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=826101
[3] https://digitalcourage.de/blog/2016/using-tails-be-careful-embedded-metadata
[4] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=839068

--
Christian Pietsch | volunteering for Digitalcourage e.V.
https://digitalcourage.de | https://bigbrotherawards.de

Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nicht schon wieder! Unterstützen Sie
unsere Verfassungsbeschwerde: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds