Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
kurono:
> ok I have added these last changes to the installer.
> But I have some remaining questions:
>
> ==> Where should the "Installation Instructions" point to?
>     I have used "https://tails.boum.org/install/index.en.html",
>     but I think we don't have a page exclusively dedicated to the
>     Tails installer.

Regarding the instructions, yes indeed, we don't have a page specific to
Tails Installer with all the different scenarios. We could have one but
I wonder whether we could do without for the time being. Maybe we could:

- Inside Tails, point to:
  - https://tails.boum.org/install/clone/#install-tails by default
  - https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/clone/#upgrade when a Tails USB
    stick is plugged in.
- Outside Tails, point to:
  - https://tails.boum.org/install/debian/usb/#install-tails by default

This would be a bit more code for you but way less documentation work
(and possible ikiwiki troubles), though the result will be a big more
rough for the user.

What do you think?

> ==> While looking at this, I realized that the link
> "https://tails.boum.org/tails-installer", in the setup.py file is
> broken, I can fix that with the former question link.

Could be :)

> ==> What kind of component is the button with the interrogation symbol?
>     Is it a link button, that should point to the same page as the later
> pint? should it do some more complex, like the greeter for example?

I'm not a Gtk expert, but yes, I would have a look at how Alan in doing
in the new Greeter and maybe reuse the same (if that's not too complicated).