Re: [Tails-dev] An update to zuluCrypt status in debian

Author: segfault
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] An update to zuluCrypt status in debian
intrigeri:

> Is anyone here excited in working on this topic?

I am, but I have a lot of other things to do :/
Maybe in late summer I will have time for this.

> Personally, I'd much rather see work towards having TrueCrypt volumes
> supported in udisks2 and GNOME Disks, than adding a second GUI to
> manage encrypted volumes: having to choose between two tools with
> overlapping functionality seems like a recipe for bad UX, to me.

I agree and I already planned to work on TrueCrypt / VeraCrypt support
in udisks and GNOME Disks.

> But of course it's a matter of "how much we really want TrueCrypt
> volumes support in a GUI" vs. "the UX regression of adding a tool with
> duplicated functionality".

Right. In my experience, TrueCrypt is something many users miss in
Tails. The most obvious use case is securely sharing files via storage
devices with non-Tails / non-Linux systems. For example users who want
to use Tails to edit documents and share them with others who do not
(yet) use Tails. This is possible with cryptsetup, but I would like to
support this via a GUI, because if this is too hard to do, some users
will instead use less secure systems for this purpose.

Cheers!