Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft

Author: leostar
To: sajolida
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft
Sur 2016-05-13 14:19 UTC sajolida <sajolida@???> écrit:

> leostar@???:
> > Sur 2016-05-09 23:05 UTC sajolida <sajolida@???> écrit:
> >> intrigeri:

> >> Right, that's what we had in mind even though I agree with you that the
> >> procedure with 2 USB sticks might not be the fastest for everybody.
> >>
> >> A few more thoughts on the topic:
> >>
> >> - For Mac we documented both options: install the intermediary Tails on
> >> USB or DVD. Here we *had* to integrate DVD in the flow for everybody
> >> because Macs are a nightmare and have very different support for USB
> >> stick. But the result is much more complex for the user.
> >>
> >> - For Linux, the technique with GNOME Disks is quite nice and is
> >> available out-of-the-box for the major distros with their default
> >> environment (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora). But you're right, here we're
> >> taking for granted that it's easier to have 2 USB stick handy than a DVD
> >> burner and a blank DVD. We thought this was a reasonable assumption in 2015.
> >>
> >> - For Windows, the technique that we document, using UUI, is a bit
> >> awkward but has the advantage of working independently of the Windows
> >> version (I'm not sure whether DVD burning tools exists in Windows from
> >> XP to 10) and of whether people have a DVD burner or not (this is
> >> becoming less and less common on laptops). We thought it would be better
> >> to recommend a single technique than to open multiple paths depending on
> >> the Windows version and hardware. It was also much less work for us.
> >>
> >> This said, on each /install/{linux,win,debian} we have a secondary
> >> option for "Burning Tails on a DVD". Now I'm realizing that maybe we
> >> should add a note at the end of https://tails.boum.org/install/dvd/ to
> >> make it clear to people that they can then clone this Tails on a USB stick.
> >>
> > I thank you for your answer sajolida. I understand that is easiest for many people to use two usb keys. I run fedora, I used the technique with GNOME Disks, but the first usb keys (intermediate Tails) has never start !
>
> Then that's a different (and interesting!) problem. So far on
> https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues I see only one PC (Lenovo
> IdeaPad Y410p) that is known to fail starting from a USB stick created
> using GNOME Disks. So, in your case, unless you have a Lenovo IdeaPad
> Y410p, either:
>
> - Something failed while creating the intermediary USB stick and it
> would be interesting to try again and see what might have failed (maybe
> there's something we should adjust in our instructions).
>
> - Maybe your laptop really can't start from such a USB stick and this
> should be listed as a known issue.
>
> So if you feel like it, it would be quite interesting if you could try
> again to create an intermediary Tails using GNOME Disks, start from it,
> [...]

Hi sajolida,
I try again to create an intermediary Tails using Gnome Disk. I have 2 Dell computers:
The first one is a Vostro 1510, the intermediary Tails usb keys doesn't boot, the bios message is: "Missing Operating System";
the second one is an Inspiron 3847,I insert intermediary Tails usb key, but no message and Fedora 22 boot.
The final Tails installed from a DVD to an usb key boots and works fine on the both.
>I hope to help you...

Also, I would like the next version of Tails is delivered with "proxychains". Thank you.
Regards.
Leo