Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft

Author: sajolida
To: leostar, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft
leostar@???:
> Sur 2016-05-09 23:05 UTC sajolida <sajolida@???> écrit:
>> intrigeri:
>>>
>>> I'll let the people who are working on our installation process reply
>>> in more depth if they wish, but nowadays it seems that it's way
>>> easier, for many people, to get 2 USB sticks than a DVD burner.
>>
>> Right, that's what we had in mind even though I agree with you that the
>> procedure with 2 USB sticks might not be the fastest for everybody.
>>
>> A few more thoughts on the topic:
>>
>> - For Mac we documented both options: install the intermediary Tails on
>> USB or DVD. Here we *had* to integrate DVD in the flow for everybody
>> because Macs are a nightmare and have very different support for USB
>> stick. But the result is much more complex for the user.
>>
>> - For Linux, the technique with GNOME Disks is quite nice and is
>> available out-of-the-box for the major distros with their default
>> environment (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora). But you're right, here we're
>> taking for granted that it's easier to have 2 USB stick handy than a DVD
>> burner and a blank DVD. We thought this was a reasonable assumption in 2015.
>>
>> - For Windows, the technique that we document, using UUI, is a bit
>> awkward but has the advantage of working independently of the Windows
>> version (I'm not sure whether DVD burning tools exists in Windows from
>> XP to 10) and of whether people have a DVD burner or not (this is
>> becoming less and less common on laptops). We thought it would be better
>> to recommend a single technique than to open multiple paths depending on
>> the Windows version and hardware. It was also much less work for us.
>>
>> This said, on each /install/{linux,win,debian} we have a secondary
>> option for "Burning Tails on a DVD". Now I'm realizing that maybe we
>> should add a note at the end of https://tails.boum.org/install/dvd/ to
>> make it clear to people that they can then clone this Tails on a USB stick.
>>
> I thank you for your answer sajolida. I understand that is easiest for many people to use two usb keys. I run fedora, I used the technique with GNOME Disks, but the first usb keys (intermediate Tails) has never start !

Then that's a different (and interesting!) problem. So far on
https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues I see only one PC (Lenovo
IdeaPad Y410p) that is known to fail starting from a USB stick created
using GNOME Disks. So, in your case, unless you have a Lenovo IdeaPad
Y410p, either:

- Something failed while creating the intermediary USB stick and it
would be interesting to try again and see what might have failed (maybe
there's something we should adjust in our instructions).

- Maybe your laptop really can't start from such a USB stick and this
should be listed as a known issue.

So if you feel like it, it would be quite interesting if you could try
again to create an intermediary Tails using GNOME Disks, start from it,
and report your findings to tails-bugs@??? as instructed here:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/tails_does_not_start/

We writing to tails-bugs@??? point them to this thread:

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2016-May/010628.html