Re: [Tails-dev] Small fix in documentation

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Small fix in documentation
xin:
>> Regarding your commits:
>>
>> - In 87c68ef, I think it would be nice to also update these same links
>> in the other PO files, so you don't break translations unnecessarily. I
>> would say you should check whether translations have the exact same link
>> and update them if so.
>>
>> - In 34e0503, if you feel adventurous you could do the same: check if
>> this was translated already in any other language and make sure the
>> string is not fuzzied again. It's clearly a typo here and translations
>> shouldn't be affected.
>>
>> This is the kind of boring work that I do in silence when working on the
>> doc to avoid breaking too many translated strings for nothing. Tell me
>> if you don't feel like doing it yourself and I'll do it.
>
> Does it work if I edit .po files without rebuild ?

It "should". I do this sometimes and then rebuild to make sure I didn't
screw it up. Here, as I understand that you're not really excited at the
idea of rebuilding everything in all languages, I don't mind splitting
the work: you edit all the PO files directly, and then I'll rebuild
everything when merging to make sure everything is all-right.

>> - Regarding 929be82, I was quite ignorant about alt tags myself until
>> I worked on #10710 last week and read
>> http://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/ (maybe reading the conclusions
>> only is still useful).
>>
>>     In this case we need to find something that "presents the CONTENT
>> and FUNCTION of the image" while "not be redundant". Both my version and
>> yours are clearly redundant with the surrounding text. What the image is
>> about exactly is already described in the sentence before it, and what
>> needs to be observed in it is already described in the sentence after
>> it. So all-in-all, maybe leaving an empty alt="" is the more appropriate
>> here.

>>     What do you think? Do you have complementary guidelines on how to
>> write good alt tags?

> You are right, in this context, the alt can be empty.
> I don't have guidelines, I think it depend of the context all the time.

Ok, let's do that!