Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft

Author: sajolida
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Install & soft
intrigeri:
> leostar@??? wrote (08 May 2016 20:42:18 GMT) :
>> 1/ "proxychains" is very useful to connect soft trough Tor, maybe
>> you can add it on next version ?
>
> Can you please provide a practical example of why it would be useful
> or needed?
>
>> 2/ The install procedure with 2 usb keys isn't the best way. It's more easy to burn
>> a iso image on a dvd, then install Tails from a dvd to an usb key.
>
> I'll let the people who are working on our installation process reply
> in more depth if they wish, but nowadays it seems that it's way
> easier, for many people, to get 2 USB sticks than a DVD burner.

Right, that's what we had in mind even though I agree with you that the
procedure with 2 USB sticks might not be the fastest for everybody.

A few more thoughts on the topic:

- For Mac we documented both options: install the intermediary Tails on
USB or DVD. Here we *had* to integrate DVD in the flow for everybody
because Macs are a nightmare and have very different support for USB
stick. But the result is much more complex for the user.

- For Linux, the technique with GNOME Disks is quite nice and is
available out-of-the-box for the major distros with their default
environment (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora). But you're right, here we're
taking for granted that it's easier to have 2 USB stick handy than a DVD
burner and a blank DVD. We thought this was a reasonable assumption in 2015.

- For Windows, the technique that we document, using UUI, is a bit
awkward but has the advantage of working independently of the Windows
version (I'm not sure whether DVD burning tools exists in Windows from
XP to 10) and of whether people have a DVD burner or not (this is
becoming less and less common on laptops). We thought it would be better
to recommend a single technique than to open multiple paths depending on
the Windows version and hardware. It was also much less work for us.

This said, on each /install/{linux,win,debian} we have a secondary
option for "Burning Tails on a DVD". Now I'm realizing that maybe we
should add a note at the end of https://tails.boum.org/install/dvd/ to
make it clear to people that they can then clone this Tails on a USB stick.