Re: [Tails-dev] Why does tails now have a swap partition

このメッセージを削除

このメッセージに返信
著者: Kenneth Morris
To: David A. Wheeler, The Tails public development discussion list
題目: Re: [Tails-dev] Why does tails now have a swap partition

>> On 8/20/24 21:25, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Tails currently swaps to "zram". This is a swap device in *RAM*. It works by
> compressing the memory before swapping it to zram. It's never written to
> a permanent storage device, so there are no fundamental impacts;

Ok, thanks that is great to know that toram or overlay root still
achieve everything in RAM and are no issues with swapping to disk.

> if your attacker can read arbitrary memory you have bigger problems.

I was and am concerned about swapping to disk like persistent storage
since that is only part of tails is not in RAM if my understanding is
correct.

> There's been discussion about swapping on a USB stick itself:

Hopefully not onto the persistent storage partition?
There have been instances where individuals have faced legal
repercussions due to sensitive information being recovered from swap
partitions. This has raised alarms about the potential for compromising
confidential data, especially in environments where privacy is paramount.