Re: [Tails-dev] Sandbox uptime command so it displays nothin…

このメッセージを削除

このメッセージに返信
著者: David A. Wheeler
To: The Tails public development discussion list
題目: Re: [Tails-dev] Sandbox uptime command so it displays nothing

> On Aug 15, 2024, at 6:32 PM, AW <andrewwallace80835@???> wrote:
>
> uptime command could be used by attacker to see how long they were on tails for if they gained root. I don't see the need for this command since tails is not a server.

I don't see any value in removing this functionality.
If an attacker can cause arbitrary commands to run, *especially* as root,
the system is already compromised.

Knowing how long a system has been running is useful for any computer, not just servers.
For example, you might want to reboot after a system's been running for a while, and not
remember when you booted it. The "uptime" command is useful for that purpose.

--- David A. Wheeler