[Tails-dev] [Tails News] Converting dangerous documents to s…

Nachricht löschen

Nachricht beantworten
Autor: info--- via amnesia-news
To: amnesia-news
CC: info
Betreff: [Tails-dev] [Tails News] Converting dangerous documents to safe PDFs using Dangerzone
# [Converting dangerous documents to safe PDFs using
Dangerzone](https://tails.net/news/dangerzone/index.en.html)

Today, we added documentation on our website to [install _Dangerzone_ in
Tails](https://tails.net/doc/persistent_storage/additional_software/dangerzone/index.en.html).

When you receive untrusted documents, for example, email attachments,
_[Dangerzone](https://dangerzone.rocks/)_ allows you to convert them into safe
PDFs before opening.

_Dangerzone_ is particularly useful for journalists who might receive
dangerous documents from anonymous sources or download them from the Internet.

_Dangerzone_ is an essential tool and is built by great people. It was first
written by [Micah Lee](https://micahflee.com/about/) to protect investigative
journalists while working at [The Intercept](https://theintercept.com/).
_Dangerzone_ is now maintained by [Freedom of the Press
Foundation](https://freedom.press), a non-profit that protects public-interest
journalism. Edward Snowden and Laura Poitras are on its Board of Directors.

It's totally the kind of software that aligns with [our
mission](https://tails.net/contribute/mission/). The only reason why we are
not including _Dangerzone_ in Tails by default is because _Dangerzone_ is too
big and not available in Debian.

So, we collaborated with Alex Pyrgiotis from Freedom of the Press Foundation
to make it as easy as possible to install _Dangerzone_ in Tails as [Additional
Software](https://tails.net/doc/persistent_storage/additional_software/index.en.html).
The setup requires using the command line, but, after that, _Dangerzone_ will
install automatically every time you start Tails.

_Dangerzone_ will allow more investigative journalists to use the safe
environment that Tails provides when manipulating sensitive documents.

It's also the first time that we recommend installing a 3rd party package that
is not available in Debian. We know that a lot of software that would be
useful for our users is not readily available in Debian. If this first
experiment is successful, we might document more such packages.

--
Tails News