[lime] Fwd: Re: GSoC - Cable purpose autodetection

Autor: Ilario
Para: LibreMesh. org project mailing list
Asunto: [lime] Fwd: Re: GSoC - Cable purpose autodetection
Hi all!
Gio answered my email (thanks Gio for the answer!) but his email does not appear in the mailing list archive, so maybe the mailserver of the mailing list did not like his mailserver? Mah...

What he wrote is an interesting situation (read it in the cited email below).

The scenario he mentions, as far as I understand, can have two negative impacts:

1) on the whole network, as a spurious DHCP server appears and the clients could get a wrong ip and wrong gateway from it instead of receiving the right one from the LibreMesh nodes (and this would not happen every time, but only when the wrong DHCP offer arrives before the good one, so the problem would be difficult to identify);

2) on the owner of the node, as the local DHCP server will aaalways offer the wrong IP first and the clients of the home will be unable to access the LibreMesh network.

In my opinion, the problem 1 should be fixed with a firewall rule, active by default, that eliminates the incoming DHCP offers. This rule should be possible to disable with some option in /etc/config/lime-* in case someone does that on purpose, disabling the DHCP from LibreMesh and using an external one. Or this firewall rule should be included, and always active, in the optional lime-proto-anygw package.
I found an ancient issue on this, where it seems that there is not yet a firewall rule for that:
https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/issues/658

The problem 2 cannot be fixed on LibreMesh side, as the solution is to disable the DHCP server on the dummy AP router (an aggressive alternative solution would be an ARP spoofing for convincing all the clients that the MAC address of the gateway e.g. 192.168.1.1 is the libremesh router's one, it works. If we want to do this ugly thing, tell me and we can discuss it further).
To implement a notification in lime-app would not help the owner of the node, as also lime-app stops being reachable for them.
But it would help other members of the network to realize what happened and help the node owner to fix it. I suppose that the mention of shared-state during the meeting was also for sharing these notifications to the lime-app of other LibreMesh nodes.
Last comment: it seems to me that the comparison with a reference status is not needed, as a DHCP server connected to the LAN while libremesh's DHCP is active (so when lime-proto-anygw is installed) is always bad, right?

Is this right Gio?

Ciao!
Ilario