Re: [Tails-dev] Cron <www-data@www> /usr/local/bin/tails-we…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Cron <www-data@www> /usr/local/bin/tails-website-last-month-stats '/var/log/nginx/tails.boum.org'
Hi,

sajolida (2024-02-02):
> Cron Daemon:
>> Boots in January: grep: access.log.11.gz: binary file matches
>> grep: access.log.10.gz: binary file matches
>> 782686
>
> That's a pretty low number.
>
> Did the unusual grep output affect the counting?

Yes, the 2 log files that expose this error message (that were renamed
since then by logrotate) have an unusually low boot number. The dates
match the server outages we had in January. I see binary junk instead
of logs in the middle of these files. So grep gives up and does not
parse the remaining of the file. I added --text to force it to
continue and I can now tell by how much the number above is short.

So boots in January are actually:

782686 + (24309-5155) + (18084-13661) = 806263

I'll record this in our spreadsheet.