Re: [lime] Using donations' money for testers

Autore: Ilario
Oggetto: Re: [lime] Using donations' money for testers
Dear all,
as you can see in the log of the latest meeting [1], we assigned the
testing grant to TWO people :D
This has been possible as we are expecting 500$ from the GSoC 2023
(additionally to the GSoC "student" salary, there is also a mentor
salary. And what usually happens in Freifunk is that this salary goes to
the project).

So, congrats to Pony <pny@???> and Hiure <hiure@???> for
getting this testing grant! :D

They will update us about their findings writing on this mailing list
and on the Element-Matrix chat [2].

You can check the funds of the LibreMesh project on the OpenCollective
platform [3].

After the meeting, we wrote a rough grant agreement, for making things a
bit more formal. Here you have it:

Reunited,
the LibreMesh project meeting participants, taking decisions on behalf
the whole LibreMesh community for topics related to the LibreMesh
project and infrastructure;
Pony pny@???;
Hiure hiure@???.

Observed,
that Pony and Hiure fulfill the requirements exposed in the email from
2023-11-09 sent by Ilario to the official LibreMesh mailing list, which
can be read here:
https://lists.autistici.org/message/20231101.163202.5a0742ed.en.html
applying a decision of the LibreMesh project meeting of 2023-11-01,
whose minutes can be read here:
https://pad.cas.cat/LibreMesh_meetup_2024?view#How-to-use-donations-buying-hardware

Decided,
that both and individually Pony and Hiure will receive the testing grant.

Clauses,
1) each of the grant holders will justify 30 hours of work with a short
report sent on the official project mailing list and the official chatroom;
2) the work of the recipients will have to be aimed to the grant goal
defined in the initial email as "Help the release of a LibreMesh release
based on OpenWrt 23.05: testing with a realistic setup, reporting issues
and, if enough time is available, fixing blocking issues."
3) specifically, the receivers are required to check if the observed
issues are already reported in the project bug tracker on Github, add
there any useful information gathered, and file a new bug report for
issues that are not yet properly described. The recipients are not
required to fix the observed bugs, but they are strongly encouraged to
use their work-hours for fixing the issues that they perceive as useful
in pursuing the grant goal of "Help the release of a LibreMesh release
based on OpenWrt 23.05";
4) both and each of the recipients will have to build a setup matching
the minimum requirements defined in the initial email:

*The minimal simple topology we drew is a linear one, represented here:*

*internet1 --wire-- dual_band#1 --wifi-- dual_band#2 --wire--
single_band#1 --wifi-- single_band#2 --wire or wifi-- internet2*

*If the topology is going to be different, it is ok, as far as it is
useful to test the release in a realistic setup.*

*Requirements for dual_band router:*
* *at least 1 radio at 2.4 GHz*
* *at least 1 radio at 5 GHz*
* *DSA supported*

*Requirements for single_band router:*
* *maximum 1 radio at either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz*
* *DSA supported*

*Requirements for internet connections:*
* *internet1 and internet2 should preferably be two different internet
connections (P.S. either wireless WAN or ethernet WAN, both are fine),
but if they are the same it is ok*

5) the minimum scenarios to test are, as defined in the initial email:

* *checking if the internet connection internet1 goes down, if the wifi
clients (common AP name) still have connection*
* *checking if the internet connection internet2 goes down, if the wifi
clients (common AP name) still have connection*
* *checking if the internet connection internet1 goes down, if the
cabled clients (on dual_band#2) still have connection*
* *checking if the internet connection internet2 goes down, if the
cabled clients (on dual_band#2) still have connection*
* *checking roaming, e.g. with an audio call*
* *define exactly how router wire to router is connected: LAN to LAN
with mesh configuration e.g.
https://github.com/libremesh/network-profiles/tree/master/calafou#lime-community-configuration-3*

6) some additional interesting things to inspect are included here but
are not required:

* document how to set ethernet interfaces for mesh only or clients only
* inspect local DNS configuration
* split the test network in two different clouds and checking the
connection via wireless and via cable

7) the LibreMesh project meeting will send 270 $ to each of the
recipients as soon as bank details are provided. The received amount
could be lower due to the bank transfer expenses.
8) the LibreMesh project meeting will send 270 $ to each of the
recipients as soon as each of them sends their reports on the mailing
list. The received amount could be lower due to the bank transfer expenses.

[1]:
https://pad.cas.cat/LibreMesh_meetup_2024#Assign-the-work-grant-for-testing-the-release-candidate
[2]: https://libremesh.org/communication.html#chatroom
[3]: https://opencollective.com/libremesh