Re: [Tails-dev] Lock the location services switch

Author: David A. Wheeler
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Lock the location services switch

> On Dec 1, 2023, at 5:39 PM, Astral Projection <astralprojection2023@???> wrote:
>
> So a friend of mine was confused about a setting in tails. They were trying tails for the first time and were going through the settings and saw location services can be turned on and got worried.
>
> I assured them that it doesn’t matter because that feature requires geoclue to work which is not included in tails.
>
> Locking the switch to prevent this setting from being able to be turned on (even though it requires geoclue to work) would be a good idea to implement and easy to implement.

I like this idea, it adds clarity. It shouldn't be possible to turn "on" a capability if it doesn't turn on anything.

It might be wise to clearly document in the *user* documentation that geoclue isn't installed, and thus location services don't work.

I'd give bonus points if there was a documented way to *enable* geoclue & more generally location services, as long as it's off by default. However, it seems to me that anonymity and providing location services are not exactly compatible. So if it just doesn't work, so be it.

--- David A. Wheeler