Re: [Tails-l10n] How do translated strings land on the webpa…

Autore: Zen Fu
To: Jens Kubieziel, tails-l10n
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-l10n] How do translated strings land on the webpage?
Hello, Jens!

Jens Kubieziel <maillist@???> writes:
> Hi,
>
> while browsing at the German version of tails.net I saw that there is a
> half-translated string:
> "Tails
> ist ein tragbares Betriebssystem
> that protects against
> surveillance and censorship. "
>
> When looking at Weblate I saw that this string has a translated version.

Where do you see that there is a translated version? Can you please
paste the link?

When I look at the corresponding page in Weblate[1], I see that specific
string marked in red, which means is "Needs editing". That means that
the string was invalidated by some change in source and needs to be
updated.

Another way to see that is in the wiki/src/index.de.po file in the
repository[2], which marks that string as "Fuzzy".

If you look at the content of that file, you'll also see what was the
previous original string.

[1] https://translate.tails.boum.org/translate/tails/index/de/?q=
[2] https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/04f45c2a1cbace42c51dfe9ede2010cd14e882cb/wiki/src/index.de.po#L56

> I couldn't really find a documentation how those translated strings land
> on the web page. Does it need to be approved or is there some kind of
> conflict in Weblate?

  - Strings marked with "Needs editing" do not go live on the website,
    and strings marked with "Waiting for review" and "Approved" do, at
    most after 1h after they've been saved on Weblate

  - The translation workflow needs some love, but improving it is
    blocked on implementation of a feature in Weblate itself.[3]

  - If you are a Reviewer in Weblate, you should be able to accept
    suggestions or review strings and make them go live in the
    website. If you are not, we should maybe ask the German translation
    team for directions.

[3] https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/17655

>From where I look, I think that the website corresponds correctly to the

current state of translation for that string.

> Could you tell me how the process is?

The documentation we have in place is this:

    https://tails.net/contribute/how/translate/with_translation_platform/

I think that what happens in reality may differ from the documentation
depending on how active and how many people a language team is.

--
Gratefully,
Zen-Fu