Re: [lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better defau…

Autor: Ilario
Para: libremesh
Asunto: Re: [lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better default distance parameter on the WiFi conifguration (#201)
On 5/20/23 18:48, cri via LibreMesh wrote:
> On 20/05/23 12:28, Pedro via LibreMesh wrote:
>> As Marek explained to me, this parameter is really related to the wait
>> time that the radio takes for ack packages
>>
>>  > For short links that decreases performance because the radio will
>> needlessly wait longer for ACK packets.
>>
>> https://forum.openwrt.org/t/different-distance-optimizations-for-different-frequencies/131217/10

Can anyone test this on a real link?
For example, testing the performances on a 1 km link, comparing the
"distance" setting at "1 km" and "10 km".
I don't have any link to test this on.

> this confirm that not exist a solution working well for all devices,
> so o we provide different network-profiles/libremesh/default
> for subtargets and build them for each
> o we set really high and advise too the users how change it
>
> la mia opinione, e voi?
> my opinion and yours?

What I would do is provide a working default configuration, even if it
has poor performances, and advise users on how to improve them.

I think this is the standard thing in LibreMesh, that we do also for
other cases, for example we configure AP, APname and mesh on each radio,
even if maybe is not used; we configure the routing protocols also on
the WAN, even if is quite never used; we configure both br-lan bridge
and routing protocols on each ethernet port, even if this is a bad
configuration for both of the possible uses of the port, but we do that
so that things always work, even if not in an optimal way.

In my opinion, this is a thing important enough to include also in the
2020.X upcoming release based on OpenWrt 19.07 (the release 2020.3 is
ready but has not been released yet, so that we can add this small
modification and release it as 2020.4).

Additionally, another thing we coooooooooould do (maybe it is late for
including it in a 2020.X release) is to adopt the "auto" distance
available in ath9k wireless driver and implement it in LibreMesh:
https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/issues/932

Ciao!
Ilario

--