[lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better default d…

Autor: cri
Para: lime
Asunto: [lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better default distance parameter on the WiFi conifguration (#201)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:     Re: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better default distance
parameter on the WiFi conifguration (#201)
Date:     Thu, 18 May 2023 10:00:41 -0700
From:     Ilario Gelmetti <notifications@???>
To:     libremesh/lime-packages <lime-packages@???>
CC:     digitigrafo <kiki@???>, Mention
<mention@???>

Let's reopen this discussion.
@digitigrafo <https://github.com/digitigrafo> reported that plenty of
communities had problem with 1000 m as maximum default distance.
I propose to set it to 5 km.

____________________________

On 18/05/23 19:00, Ilario Gelmetti wrote:

> Let's reopen this discussion.
> @digitigrafo <https://github.com/digitigrafo> reported that plenty of
> communities had problem with 1000 m as maximum default distance.
> I propose to set it to 5 km.

I reported it in 2019.. when I was in brasil and I find 2 communities
that abandoned to use Lime because can't update from lime17 to lime19..

and was the same problem that we had.. lime 17 was working on long
distance, so the feedback when you upgraded to 19 was:"libremesh is not
more working" and there was not changelog to know what happen in the
last release, and also the design of the project has an hole in that
point (no config needed), but after speaking with the developers was
easy to fix also in GUI using LUCI.. and our community survived.. but
sadness.. for the others was too late. not possible without human
communications and a bit of mutual aid..

I reported again in 2022 because last year also I meet 2 german
communities that told me they tried to use Lime on ubnt m5 antennas
already on the roof, passing from AirOS to Lime, but doesn't worked
because the antennas lost connections with the others.. so yes the same
problem of the distance. So out of that ecatombe of users in 2018-19...
I think that still is a problem. because in the design the issue is
still there. An in other side also the problem of communications between
developers and communities is still there, when we change something that
need to be re-configured by users is not clear where we announced.
Github comments and matrix are not stable point of documentation. same
when we introduced network profiles.. a lot of communities was not
informed..

Message ID: <libremesh/lime-packages/issues/201/1553348017@???>
Cri