Re: [lime] Notes on testing LibreMesh on OpenWrt 22.03

Author: Ilario Gelmetti
To: libremesh
Subject: Re: [lime] Notes on testing LibreMesh on OpenWrt 22.03
On 3/27/23 19:02, gothos via LibreMesh wrote:
> On 11/9/22 10:00, Ilario via LibreMesh wrote:
>> I compiled an image of clean OpenWrt 19.07 and another of OpenWrt
>> 22.03 following the instructions on the LibreMesh website (for the
>> latter I replaced all "19.07" occurrences with "22.03").
>> In order to have a clean OpenWrt image I selected the LibreMesh
>> packages as <M> in menuconfig instead than <*>. >
> I found very useful this explanation of compiling for debugging purposes.
> And the use you made of "<M> in menuconfig instead than <*>" building
> the packages without adding them to the build, for adding them later one
> by one via opkg.

Hi Gothos!
Thanks!
I'm glad that it was useful!

> I think it would be nice to have a dedicated page on libremesh.org that
> explain how to debug in this way. Or at least a link to the openwrt
> documentation that explain this usage with make menuconfig.
>> Also in this instructions you start from a plain Openwrt and then you
> install Libremesh.
> I think it would be useful also a guide like this, "From openwrt to
> libremesh" on the website.

Yesss, I agree that it would be useful! Can you write such a page?

> I mean, is not frequent, but rarely we meet people who already know the
> openwrt project, and are geek enough that if you say them to install
> openwrt following the official website for their devices, and then do
> the libremesh installation and configuration apart they are not forced
> to receive from us the firmware image and can go ahead theirselves.
>
> A similar case I think is from people from the hacklabs, that would
> benefit from such publicly available instructions and would have a way
> to participate to the community installing their own devices, without
> being forced to trust our tech team, or to contact us to build for their
> devices.
>

> For this second "from openwrt to libremesh"
> I noticed you also provide the lime-reports with the different versions
> here: https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/issues/951
> and that you said you followed this sequence for installing all the
> libremesh components:
>
> lime-system and lime-proto-anygw and lime-proto-batadv and
> lime-proto-babeld

I would say that these 4 packages, together with lime-hwd-openwrt-wan
(and lime-app if you want the web interface), are the minimum for having
the expected LibreMesh experience.
Some people are using setups where they remove some of these, but I fear
that not many people are using these unusual packages combinations, so
there could be undetected issues.

> Is this a general recommended way to install libremesh starting from
> openwrt, or is only suitable for debugging purposes?

Meh, I think that this way is only for development and debugging.
Otherwise, it is just easier to compile all the packages directly in the
firmware image. And even if you compile everything in, you can still
install more packages or update the ones already present.

Ciao!
Ilario

--
Ilario