Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: Add support for curl (does ALL_PRO…

Author: segfault
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: Add support for curl (does ALL_PROXY fix it?)
David A. Wheeler:
>> You might want to try `torsocks --isolate curl` (I didn't test it but that's often enough to make any program use Tor).
>
> Currently torsocks is never mentioned in the Tails user documentation,
> so a typical Tails user has a good chance of not knowing about it. (yes, torsocks *is*
> mentioned in the design docs, but that doesn't count as *user* documentation :-) ).
> So: No matter what, documenting that "additional programs"
> might need to use torsocks (and how to use it) would be a good idea.

I agree that it might be useful to document in the Additional Software
docs that some applications need to be run via torsocks. I'll let our UX
and documentation person decide on that.

> However, in the case of *curl*, using torsocks has drawbacks.
> The torsocks program uses the LD_PRELOAD trick that is
> sometimes unreliable

I'm not aware of torsocks being unreliable. It's used in Tails for many
applications and I use it myself for others and in my experience when it
works once it works every time.